CSULB Police Blotter

The Police Blotter is an activity log that tracks some University Police emergency calls. All emergency calls within a 2-mile radius of Cal State Long Beach are directed to University Police and tracked on the log.

The Daily 49er addresses matters of importance to CSULB, its students and faculty. The Police Blotter staff keeps in contact with University Police on a bi-weekly basis. Any question or comments can be directed to policed49er@gmail.com.

Don’t Jump!
A non-criminal report of vandalism on campus property was called in to University Police on the afternoon of July 12. A rail leading up to the third floor of the dance center on upper campus was unhinged and left hanging on the ground.

According to University Police Capt. Fernando Solorzano, six young adults (“free jumpers”) were seen running and jumping in the area. The suspects left the scene before University Police arrived, but left behind a laptop case.

Solorzano said police located the owner of the left-behind property, 24-year-old Matthew Barela. During examination, Barela claimed he did not damage the handrail. However, after further questioning, he reportedly “broke down” and said that after several of his friends jumped on and off the rail he jumped on and broke it.

Jay Foral, CSULB metal shop supervisor, said he was dispatched to fix the damage that day. The area was taped off and the railing was taken to the shop for further assessment. The following day Foral resized the brackets and wielded the railing back to the wall.

According to Foral, handrails are the university’s “biggest concern” because of safety issues.

Dazed and Confused
Eighteen-year-old Carlos Juarez, reportedly attending the SOAR program, was taken to the hospital by the Long Beach Fire Department because the Long Beach health officials believed he was in an altered state, Solorzano said.

Juarez reportedly said he was looking for his family, but when officials arrived he was taken to a local community hospital.

Assault on the asphalt
On the afternoon of July 12, a suspect identified as 27-year-old Jose Padilla punched a student skateboarder in the throat, Solorzano said.

The skateboarder attempted to skate around Padilla, but unintentionally collided into him. Solorzano said an altercation ensued as Padilla challenged the skateboarder to a fight. The skateboarder tried not to use physical force. However, Padilla clenched his fist, taking a “combative” stance and swung at the skateboarder, Solorzano said.

Solorzano said that although skateboarding on campus is prohibited, skating from point A to point B is “not a problem.” University Police, nevertheless, will cite skateboarders who are engaging in “tricks,” such as “sliding down rails.” Solorzano explained, “When [they are] doing tricks, we take a harder approach and cite them.”

Lock it up
A county-wide increase in bicycle use has caused a spike in bicycle theft, Solorzano said. As students, faculty and staff attempt to save money on parking, they have turned to biking. Bike use has also increased because of the U-Pass program and new bus bike racks, Solorzano said.

In the last two weeks, five bikes have been stolen from various bike racks on campus. According to Solorzano, non-student thieves usually “dress the part” by using backpacks to carry “pocket-size” cutters.

Non-students 13 years of age and older have been caught stealing bikes on campus, Solorzano said. Their motives vary by age. Thirteen-year-olds usually steal bikes to upgrade their own and older people steal bikes to fund drug addictions, according to Solorzano.

Cable locks, according to Solorzano, are the most easily compromised. U-locks, while not guaranteeing bike-theft prevention, are worth investing in.

Nocturnal Hunter spotted in daylight
A coyote was sighted at noon on June 17, near the VA Hospital’s parking gate off Bellflower Boulevard.

Long Beach animal control was surprised to learn that the sighting happened during the day. According to John Kiesler, bureau manager for the city’s animal care services, a day sighting may suggest the coyotes are “losing fear of people” since coyotes are known to hunt at night.

Multiple animal care service officials searched for the coyote and a possible coyote den, but were unable to locate either, Kiesler said. Two open containers of cat food were found near the area of the sighting.

The area of the sighting has now been placed under the Wildlife Watch Program Designation. According to the program’s website, the designation aims “to ensure public health and safety for people and animals when there is an increase in reported human-wildlife conflict.”