Students opt for semester abroad over yearlong programs

An increasing number of students are enrolling in Cal State Long Beach’s semester study abroad programs. However, the increase in enrollment for the semester-long programs has come with a significant decrease in those enrolling in the yearlong study abroad program.

Seventy-one students are enrolled in CSULB’s direct exchange study abroad programs for fall 2010. That’s compared to just 49 students who enrolled in the semester-long programs in spring 2010.

“The 71 is the highest direct exchange number we’ve ever had,” said Elise Blum, a student assistant for CSULB’s Center for International Education.

CSULB is introducing and re-introducing five study abroad programs for fall 2010, according to Sharon Olson, CSULB director of study abroad. Two destinations are Italy and Spain, both of which are popular spots for students, according to student assistant Noor Salem.

Only 47 CSULB students have enrolled in Cal State University’s International Program, which is a yearlong program. That’s a drop from 69 CSULB students who enrolled in the CSU program last year.

Blum said a reason for the decrease might not be due to fewer applications, but to the International Program accepting fewer students. Olson said that the additional semester-long study abroad programs were probably the reason for the drop in enrollment of the yearlong option.

“It has to do with locations that students are interested in going to,” Olson said about students choosing to study abroad.

She also pointed out that the CSU yearlong study abroad program is more competitive than CSULB’s semester-long programs, since students must compete with applicants throughout the CSU system.

Olson added that CSULB’s semester-long programs may be extended to a year if the student requests it. She said that many students choose to do that.

Tamarah Flesser, a senior photography major, said she decided to go with CSULB’s direct exchange program, since it gave her more flexibility on when she can leave.

“I’m not sure how long I want to stay and I’m going to declare a second major and I don’t know if I’m going to take classes for it while I’m there,” said Flesser, who’s headed to Germany for the fall semester.

Flesser said that for her to stay more than one semester she will have to e-mail a CSULB study abroad advisor to make sure there’s room in the direct exchange program in the spring.

Olson said, “There were fewer applicants this time [in the CSU International Program], but these things are kind of cyclical and change over time.”