CSULB dorms remain open over Thanksgiving break

Students who live at Cal State Long Beach’s dormitories have the opportunity to stay on campus this week during Thanksgiving break.

Meals, however, will not be provided for students wishing to stay.

“Housing does not close over the Thanksgiving break, but residents who stay will have to register with their hall office so that we know who is around and we can check in on them,” said Carol Roberts-Corb, director of Housing and Residential Life. “We continue to have staff on call at all times so that we can respond to emergencies and to any resident needs that occur.”

The last meal in the dining halls will be lunch Nov. 24, with meal service resuming at breakfast Nov. 29.

“While we don’t do any large-scale Thanksgiving event for all residents, many resident assistants do plan activities for their floors before people leave for the holiday,” Roberts-Corb said.

RA Leah Grigas said she’s planning on sticking turkey posters on all doors on her floor and asking students to write on them what they would like to give thanks for this year.

Roberts-Corb addressed what international students could do for Thanksgiving weekend if they don’t have an American family to celebrate with.

“In our experience, only about 100 to 150 people [out of 2,500 residents] stay around over the break,” she said. “For those international students living in International House, we do open the I-House kitchen so that they can prepare meals for themselves. And, in the past, the Center for International Education has worked with local community members to host international students for Thanksgiving dinner.”

Grigas said the day oftentimes leads to different groups bonding together and celebrating.

“Usually families are pretty welcoming here to students away from home, particularly those here on exchange, or on tour as part of a sports team,” she said.

Exchange students Linda Bakker and Carla Mack arranged a long weekend Thanksgiving celebration in Las Vegas.

“It will be a great time to celebrate with friends from all over the world, who don’t celebrate this back at home,” Bakker said.

Every year, residential dining does a special Thanksgiving meal prior to the break. Turkey dishes and a variety of desserts were served Nov. 15 to all students living in the dorms.

“Thanksgiving is a time when all families get together and celebrate everything that they’re thankful for in their lives,” dormitory resident Shannon Finnegan said. “Whether that family is our direct family, extended family, or friends who have bonded, such as international students; as long as we feel happy and thankful to be with the people around us, that is all that matters.”

The main housing office will be closed from Nov. 25 to Nov. 29.