Student Lounge to hype up LBSU fans

The Beach Pride Center is planning an evening of free food and activities for students in the Associated Students Inc. Student Lounge section of the Walter Pyramid on Jan. 29, prior to the basketball game against Fullerton.

The first 1,000 students to arrive to the pre-game celebration will receive a free T-shirt. Attendees will also have the opportunity to mingle with other students, including ASI leaders.

“Having an education is more than just going to class,” ASI Communications Coordinator Christina Esparza said. “[Cal State Long Beach] is such a large campus. It feels more personable and exciting when we can rally around things, such as athletics, and have a common goal.”

According to Esparza, a KBeach DJ will spin records while students receive henna tattoos and make posters for the night’s game.

She said students will not only have the chance to build school spirit, but also support the 49ers, which is the main purpose of the event.

“I want to be more than just a student at this university — I want to be involved,” junior sociology major and transfer student Ana Medrano said.

Sylvana Cicero, assistant director of programs for the University Student Union, said members of ASI created the Student Lounge last year to inspire a sense of community. This is the first of five events planned for the year.

As far as school pride goes, many students are confident that LBSU will come out victorious.

“Cal State Long Beach is going to win,” kinesiology student Adam Seson said. “I heard they won four straight games in a row and that Cal State Fullerton isn’t that good anymore.”

Doors open at 6 p.m., but students are encouraged to arrive earlier. The game and Student Lounge will be free to all CSULB students with a student ID.