CSU doctorate degrees get 10% increase

The Cal State University Board of Trustees voted Wednesday to raise the tuition for doctorate of education students by 10 percent at Cal State Long Beach and 10 other CSU campuses.

The increase in tuition will be $954 per year, bringing the total tuition to $10,500, according to Erik Fallis, Media Relations Specialist at California State University. The fee hike comes on the heels of a November vote to increase undergraduate and master’s programs by 5 percent for the current spring semester and 10 percent for the fall semester within the CSU system.

The doctorate of education program, or Ed.D, currently has 700 students in the CSU system, including 76 students at CSULB in fall 2010, according to Vincent Novack, assistant vice president of institutional research and assessment at CSULB.

The program supports educators who are training to become either K-12 or community college administrators.

The Ed.D. program “must, by law, remain at a lower price than UC schools,” Fallis said. The 10 percent increases still prices the program $564 below the UC system’s current tuition rate of $11,064 per year.

The increase in tuition will be in effect for the upcoming 2011-12 school year.