ASI considers supporting Planned Parenthood

A resolution in opposition to House of Representatives Bill 217, which seeks to deny any and all federal funding going to organizations that provide abortion services, passed on its first reading March 9.

HR 217, introduced to the House by Mike Pence, was passed by the House Feb. 18. 

The bill would deny any and all federal funding from going to organizations that provide abortion services, even if federal dollars are spent on abortions or not, including Planned Parenthood. 

Associated Students Inc. Senators Roxanna Gracia, Alexandro Gracia and Jorge Soriano sponsored the bill, saying students at this campus benefit from many of the services Planned Parenthood has to offer, such as cancer screenings and contraception. ASI stands neutral on abortion. 

Senator Mark Rizk raised a question concerning the resolution. He asked the senators sponsoring the resolution if they asked their constituencies how they feel about the legislation. 

However, the senators had not. Senators are responsible for contacting their constituency asking their opinion between the first and second reading, according to ASI President James Ahumada. 

Senator Rizk also mentioned that the bill does not target Planned Parenthood specifically. In response, the senators said, even so, Planned Parenthood would lose a significant portion of its funding.

The resolution will go through its second reading at the ASI meeting Wednesday.