Fraternity impersonation leads to robbery attempt

Fraternity impersonation leads to attempted robbery

A man reported an attempted robbery March 5 at 6:15 p.m. in Parking Lot 14, University Police Capt. Fernando Solorzano said.

The victim reported that a man wearing a purple shirt with green and purple camouflage pants and gold combat boots approached him as he was getting into his car and tried to steal his camera. 

The suspect is believed to be a member of the Omega fraternity whose dress code involves wearing green and purple as well as gold combat boots, Solorzano said. The victim, according to Solorzano, was wearing one gold combat boot. This impersonation was judged as a mocking of the Omega fraternity, leading to the attempted robbery, according to Solorzano. Nothing was stolen.

Bike theft at the University Student Union

An individual reported that his or her Windsor clockwork black bike was stolen March 8 at 7 p.m. at the north bike racks on the first floor of the University Student Union, Solorzano said. 

The individual returned to the bike racks to find the bike gone. He then proceeded to flag down a police officer to report that it had been stolen. The individual said the bike had been locked with a cable lock and found it stolen upon returning. The bike was nine months old and had an estimated value of $350.

Mickey Mouse ring stolen

A woman reported that her Mickey Mouse ring was stolen from her dorm room in the Residence Commons Hall F118 on March 3 between 12:01 a.m. – 11:59 p.m., Solorzano said. 

The ring was metal, with a white stone in the middle shaped like Mickey Mouse and six blue stones surrounding it. The woman had left the ring on her desk and found it gone when she returned to her room., Solorzano said. The ring was valued at $20.

Marijuana complaints rising

Three marijuana complaints took place in the last two weeks, Solorzano said.

University Police received a complaint of a burning marijuana smell in Parkside Commons on March 2 at 11:52 p.m., Solorzano said. A member of the housing staff reported the smell to police. When police arrived, they entered the dorm room and cited a 19-year-old man for possession of less than one ounce of marijuana.

A 20-year-old man was cited for possession of marijuana on March 4 at 5:15 p.m. in the Los Alamitos Hall, Room 128, Solorzano said. 

An employee called University Police and reported a smell of burning marijuana. When police arrived, the employee led them to the individual’s room where he admitted to smoking and gave the marijuana to police. 

A woman was found smoking marijuana in the Los Alamitos Hall, Room 205 on March 8 at 11 p.m., Solorzano said. Three women, including the woman who answered the door when police entered were not smoking. Police officers approached the fourth woman who was 18 years old and she denied using the marijuana. 

She eventually admitted to smoking and was cited for marijuana use.