PCH-Second Street project in the works

Long Beach is reviewing a condo plaza construction proposal to replace the Seaport Marina Inn on Pacific Coast Highway and Second Street.

According to the development executive summary, the place will include a 325-unit condo tower, 100-room hotel, retail space, restaurant and theater. 

Planners revised an environmental impact that was rejected last year.Last year’s EIR reported construction would increase pollution, exceeding the South Coast Air Quality Management District thresholds.

Lead developer David Malmuth said the new executive summary has benefits and amenities that should be weighed against the impact.

“We think that the project has the potential to be a great new hangout for Cal State Long Beach students,” Malmuth said. “It would be popular with the crowds that are thinking about these kinds of retail, restaurants, public spaces and entertainment and performance.”

Malmuth said that Second and PCH and CSULB will partner with its live theater.

The 54-page report covers a wide range of environmental and business matters, and includes alternatives like scaling down or even abandoning the project. The Lin family is providing the land and financing for the mixed-use project’s approval. After approval, the financers and developers will seek out a project partner.

According to Malmuth, Coastal Commission approval notification will come by the end of summer. The city must approve the proposal and prepare requirements under the California Environmental Quality Act. If approved, construction could start by 2013.

Some CSULB students approve of the project.

“It sounds like a great plan, but if it’s another movie theater, then they don’t need to make a new one because there is an AMC across the street,” senior healthcare administration major Kimberly Eclarino said.

However, some students disagree with the plan.

“[The Seaport Marina Inn] was small and not in the best of conditions, but it was an affordable place for my organization Sigma Phi Omega to rent,” junior liberal studies major Melanie Esquivel said. “I think it’s horrible.”