ASI requires CSU Board to speak on issue before lobbying about June tax extensions

A resolution urging the CSU Board of Trustees to take a stance on Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed tax extensions for the June ballot before ASI can take one of its own passed in its third reading on March 16. 

The June tax extensions, if rejected, could result in a 35 percent cut the university budget, according to Mike Hostetler, associate vice president for student services and dean of students. 

Section 42403 of the California Code of Regulations states that funds of an auxiliary organization shall not be used to “support or oppose any issue before the voters of this state or any subdivision thereof.” 

In the past, ASI has lobbied to ensure that funding for higher education remains steady.

The Code of Regulation continues saying such prohibition shall not apply to “support of a position taken by the Board of Trustees on an issue which the Board determines will significantly affect the California State University or any campus thereof.” 

ASI, as an auxiliary organization, would be able to utilize funds for lobbying after the Board of Trustees take a position on the June tax extensions.

To avoid contradiction between the Board of Trustees and ASI, the resolution urges the Board of Trustees to take a definitive stance on the issue soon.