Campus MovieFest winners to be revealed, screened

Teams of Cal State Long Beach moviemakers have worked together over the last two weeks to produce pieces for Campus MovieFest with the opportunity to display their films in the bright lights of a Hollywood premiere.

A panel of students, faculty and staff has judged the 80 entries, and the top 16 will be shown in the Beach Auditorium on Monday at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. The event, which will include a raffle and door prizes, is free.

“There have been a lot of entries and a lot of creativity, which has been amazing,” promotions manager Diane Payes said.

The worldwide event is in its 11th year — this is the third year it has been at CSULB.

Teams of students began the movie-making process Oct. 5 after submitting story ideas.

The films could be about any topic, as long as it lasted five minutes or less.

Teams were issued Apple laptops, Panasonic camcorders and training for production, free of charge, during the one-week filming period.

The top winners will move on to Campus MovieFest in Hollywood next June. The categories include Best Picture, Best Drama and Best Comedy. Best Actor and Actress will be awarded as well.

There is also a social justice category in which participants create a movie or song about poverty, and the winner can receive up to $20,000 in grants.

Awards include Hollywood meetings for pitching ideas and the opportunity to be shown on Virgin America flights and at the Cannes Film Festival.

Last year, more than 75,000 students participated in the event, including grand finale winner Len Chi from Emory University, who won Best Picture for his entry “Tick Tock.”

“Ever since we started CMF as students in 2001, we’ve been honored to help discover exceptional talent and bring unforgettable experiences to students, and this year is sure to be the best yet,” co-founder of Campus MovieFest Dan Costa said in a press release.