Festival to offer interaction with the arts on Tuesday

Associated Students Inc. will host a Festival of Art on Tuesday from noon to 2 p.m. at the University Student Union Southwest Terrace for clubs and organizations to engage students in interactive exercises and demonstrate how to create art in their respective mediums.

Five aspects of art will be featured, including: 2-D art, digital and 3-D art, arts and crafts, the art of dance, and the art of novelty.

ASI communications coordinator Christina Esparza said there will also be a display of recyclable crafts.

A T-shirt print-making activity will also be available, for which funds go to the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center.

In addition, students can submit original photos to the photography contest that will take place on the day of the festival.

Students will then vote on their favorite pieces on display and the winning photographer will receive a $100 gift card to Lion’s Art Supply.

A DJ will provide music for the festival and refreshments will be offered throughout the event.

“The whole point of the festival is to be interactive and aware of the different things students can be a part of,” Esparza said. “We’ve hosted several types of events that involve the arts. This is just our newest and latest.”

The Festival of Art was the idea of the organizer, Alana Johnson, a student and member of the USU Program Council.

“The students involved [in the Program Council] are in charge of coming up with different types of events they think their peers will like,” Esparza said. “It just happened to be her idea.”

Pre-art sophomore student Vivian Chang said she thinks the event will be a fun opportunity for all students, not just art majors.

“I think it’d be really cool for non-art students to go, especially since they can’t take most of the art classes since it’s so impacted,” Chang said. “I hope it focuses more on the interactive aspect instead of just demonstrations.”