CSULB ranks in US News list for most freshmen applications

Only five schools received more freshmen applications than Cal State Long Beach in fall 2010, according to rankings released by U.S. News & World Report.

U.S. News surveyed more than 1,800 undergraduate colleges and universities in 2011 and, of the 1,311 schools that reported, CSULB ranked No. 6 in the nation with 47,673 first-time freshmen applications.

“Placing us No. 6 in the nation in freshmen applications is a clear validation of the increasing state and national reputation of our university.” CSULB President F. King Alexander said via email. “If you throw our transfer students into their survey, we rank as the fourth best in the nation. Both of these measures say a great deal for our faculty, staff, students and entire campus environment.”

UCLA was ranked No. 1 in the nation with 57,670 applicants. St. John’s University in New York and UC Berkeley followed UCLA.

According to the survey, the average college received 5,948 applications for fall 2010 admissions — an increase of more than 400 applications from the year before.

Among the schools that received the most applications, 32 schools received more than 30,000; 12 schools received more than 40,000; and three schools received more than 50,000 applications for fall 2010 admissions.

The 10 colleges that received the most applications averaged 48,849 applications, which is more than eight times the national average. Among the top 10 universities on this list, seven are in California.