Festival brings art, music to CSULB

Cal State Long Beach will host its second annual Chinese Film and Culture Festival, featuring unique treasures from Tianjin Province in China, screenings of recent Chinese films, and a cultural heritage and craft exhibit, from Oct. 20-26.

The cultural craft exhibit will include bottle gourd painting, kites and stilt walking, among other things.

Eight films will be screened in the Beach Auditorium at the University Student Union, Room 115.

In addition, the opening ceremony will be held on Oct. 20 at 11 a.m. in the Carpenter Performing Arts Center. Visitors will include CSULB President F. King Alexander, Provost Donald Para, officials from China’s Ministry of Culture, officials from Tianjin province and Qiu Shaofang, the consul general of China to Los Angeles.

The ceremony will include traditional plays by the Peking Opera Troupe and a Bian Lian, or face-changing, performance.

It will then conclude with a display of arts and crafts, as part of the Culture Festival, in the lobby, and Tianjin kites, which will be flown from the front of the Carpenter Center.

The cultural heritage and craft exhibit will be held in the USU Ballroom, where artists will demonstrate traditional Chinese handicrafts such as paper cutting. Fabric sculptures of Chinese artist Chang Cheng and Spring Festival Pictures from Yangliuqing, a market town located in Tianjin province,

will be on display.

The Chinese band GrayWolf will perform on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Beach Auditorium.

CSULB’s College of Continuing and Professional Education is hosting the festival in collaboration with the Ministry of the People’s Republic of China and with coordination assistance from Beauty Media and ICN TV Network.

For more information, visit ccpe.csulb.edu/chinesefcf.