Students call police, mistakenly report drug, alcohol abuse

A man called the police after he spotted a man smoking marijuana while walking with a child near the Friendship Walk on Nov. 18 at 11:45 a.m., University Police Capt. Scott Brown said. Police made contact with the man, but found that he was not under the influence, nor did he have any marijuana, Brown said.

Another complaint was made regarding someone who was seen smoking while driving in Lot 8 on Nov. 17 at 9 a.m., Brown said. Police contacted the driver of a Volvo station wagon, but there was nothing wrong.

Police were flagged down by a driver who saw someone in a gray Ford Ranger drinking beer while driving near the Pyramid on Nov. 18 at 10 a.m., Brown said. The person told police that they parked near Parking Structure 1. The officers were able to find the vehicle and searched it for alcohol, but did not find any. The driver did not seem to be under the influence either, Brown said.

Police made contact with students in the Beach Hall of the Residential Learning Center after a resident assistant suspected the students of smoking marijuana on Nov. 21 at 10 p.m., Brown said. The students were advised, but none were cited.

Father contacts police to find drunk daughter on campus

The father of a 19-year-old student flagged down campus police on Nov. 19 at 10:45 p.m. to help him find his daughter who was drunk somewhere on campus, Brown said. Officers found her intoxicated near the Parkside dorms and released her to the care of her father.

Credit cards, bikes, phones stolen on campus

A woman came into the University Police station on Nov. 23 at 12:15 p.m. to report her credit card stolen, Brown said. After checking her statement, she found charges to her card made in New York. Brown said she was advised to talk to her bank and file a report.

A student reported their bike missing on Nov. 21 at 10 p.m., Brown said. She left her pink Denali road bike near the Engineering building on Nov. 20 in the evening, but when she returned the next day, it was gone. Brown said the police took down the information and ended up finding the bike parked near the Physical Education building a couple days later. After contacting the student, she realized she must have forgotten where she left her bike.

A blue BMX Haro bike was stolen from the bike racks near the Parkside K building on Nov. 17 in the afternoon, Brown said. The bike is valued at $100 and was locked with a cable lock.

A student’s iPhone 4S was stolen from his backpack on Nov. 22 at 5:30 p.m., Brown said. He left his belongings in the hallway in the Engineering building when he got up to use the restroom. In the meantime, an unknown person took his iPhone.