Students trade notebooks for electronics

The digital age is making its presence known on campus now more than ever as more students are replacing their paper notebooks with tablets and laptops.

Many students said they prefer electronics because answers are available at their fingertips and there is less weight to lug around campus.

“I’m going to start [using my iPad] because I don’t want to carry around a bunch of notebooks,” senior English major Erin Ousted said.

Jeannine Rosete, a junior biology major and iPad owner, said that “electronics are distracting,” but, when used properly, are very helpful.

Rosete said her professors are weary of the potential problems electronics can cause, and they are not in favor of the paper substitute.

“Most of them do say it is OK to use laptops for taking notes, but if they see anyone on a social networking site, they will ask him or her to put their laptop away,” Rosete said.

On the other hand, journalism professor Danny Paskin supports using electronics in class.

“In my opinion, we should be embracing these more and more, and finding new ways to incorporate these iPads, iPhones or iAnything … into our classrooms, as a way to help students learn,” Paskin said via email. “Use it, not fight it.”

Paskin, whose lecture courses usually take place in a computer lab, understands the interferences this setting can bring, but argues the benefits outweigh the consequences.

“This new generation has shown to be really good at multitasking — it has been called even a necessity, more than a quality,” Paskin said.

It’s not just notes that are becoming electronic, but textbooks as well. Electronic books, or eBooks, have become a cheaper option to help students keep up with their reading assignments.

“I hope, one day, every single textbook is available in e-format,” Paskin said. “This will most likely make textbooks more affordable, make them easier to find and acquire, and make them easier to carry around. No more, ‘Oops, forgot my book for this one class today.'”

However, it might take a bit more nudging for some students to go completely electronic.

“I wouldn’t use my iPad because it’s easier to take notes with pen and paper,” senior child development major Sunny Lee said.

Even if some students don’t use their new technology in class, they have found other uses to help pass the time on campus, like Rosete, who catches up on ‘How I Met your Mother’ during breaks.