Students travel to Cuba, study its history

For the first time in years, Cal State Long Beach students will be going to Cuba.

Strained relations between the United States and communist Cuba has made it difficult in the past for schools to gain authorization to visit Cuba.

However, where the Bush administration instituted more stringent rules on travel to Cuba, the Obama administration has eased the rules.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury issued a license to CSULB for educational purposes.

“President Obama has relaxed the rules somewhat, so we qualified as an academic institution to sponsor a trip as a structured academic program,” Victor Rodriguez, one of the trip’s organizers and a professor of Chicano and Latino studies, said in an email.

A total of 27 students who are enrolled in Spanish 490 or Chicano and Latino studies 430 will be visiting the country in March as part of a collaboration between the department of romance, German, Russian languages and literatures, and the department of Chicano and Latino studies.

“We … have an opportunity to share with our inquisitive, adventurous and engaging students one of the most unique study abroad experiences out there,” Bonnie Gasior, a Spanish professor and one of the trip’s organizers, said via email.

The trip is an opportunity for students who otherwise would not have had the chance to go to Cuba, Rodriguez said.

Prior to the trip, students will learn about Cuba’s history, economy, literature and politics, Rodriguez continued.

Furthermore, the trip is an opportunity for students to observe the changes in Cuba, which is engaging in more free-market economic activities in response to economic difficulties, Rodriguez said.

“The use of cell phones is now widespread, people are starting small businesses, they are able to lease public lands to increase agricultural production and more joint ventures … are being created,” Rodriguez said. “This is an interesting experiment in transformation without violence that we will be one of the first Americans to observe first hand.”

During their stay in the country, the students will have an “academically structured itinerary,” which will consist of tours of Havana, discussions with professors and students at the University of Havana, visits to famous sights, and museum trips, Rodriguez said.

In addition, students will take part in service learning for a day, and they will volunteer at a hospital, where they will give supplies to new mothers, Gasior said. However, she said the trip coincides with the Pope’s visit to Cuba, so their plans might have to change.

Mary Avina, a junior Spanish culture and literature major who is enrolled in the Spanish 490 class, is excited about having the opportunity to visit Cuba and learn more about the island.

“I want to learn new things and experience great things and be able to tell everyone else,” Avina said.