Boutique owner’s passion for fashion thrives in Retro Row

Cal State Long Beach student and junior fashion merchandising and design major Esther Kim was strolling along the Fourth Street Retro Row area in Long Beach when she spotted a dangling sign inside a vacant retail space that said “For Rent.”

“It was a golden opportunity that I could not pass by,” Kim said.

Kim did not have a plan, but she always knew she wanted to own a business. Her boutique clothing store, Blu Button, combines her dream of business ownership and her passion for fashion.

“My passion always lied in fashion … always in clothing, shoes and dressing up,” Kim said.

Kim balances a full-time course-load at CSULB and runs her store by taking classes early in the morning before the store opens. She said it can be a challenge, but attending school full-time has been her choice and she does her best to manage her time effectively.

Kim said the fashion-merchandising program has helped tremendously since she opened the store in October 2010.

“Every semester I learn so much and I am so grateful I can apply it directly to my business,” Kim said.

Professors and instructors in the fashion-merchandising program have been supportive and helpful during her business ownership learning process and she said she often goes to them for advice. Kim also receives assistance from her two CSULB student interns.

“This store and style is a reflection of myself,” Kim said.

The women’s clothing and accessory store’s shelves and hangers are stocked with soothing colors, soft fabrics and vintage-inspired patterns. Kim likes to seek out new designs and brings in new brands every season.

Blu Button’s location is a perfect fit for Retro Row, since the businesses are either boutique stores or restaurants that employ a distinct personality and vibe.

There are vintage, thrift furniture and clothing stores, along with barbershops, salons, restaurants and cafes. The young business owner said she loves the area and appreciates having a business in such a diverse city.

Kim plans on bringing in hand-selected vintage clothing and accessories to add to her boutique’s niche vibe.

“I’m a huge fan of vintage and I’m always on the lookout for vintage items,” Kim said.

She finds that a lot of her customers appreciate vintage clothing, but do not always want to hunt them down on their own. Kim wants to have a mixture of new and vintage items, while maintaining the same feel inside the store.

She also plans to carry items from local artisans who make their own jewelry, soaps and screen-printed t-shirts.

Kim said she gives students a 10 percent discount on all items in her store because she knows what it’s like to be a student on a budget.

1. Very cool! This shop is in the perfect location too!