Protestor trial to begin in September

When more than 100 demonstrators clashed with police during a protest against a 9 percent tuition hike in November, Seth Newmeyer was identified by police as the one responsible for shattering the glass door at the Cal State University Chancellor’s Office.

Since then, the Long Beach City Prosecutor has filed two charges against Newmeyer, a junior at University of California, Los Angeles. The charges include vandalism and failure to disperse, according to the Long Beach Superior Court website.

Newmeyer pleaded not guilty to the charges on June 26, and his trial is set to begin September 5 in Long Beach Superior Court. He was expected to stand before a jury last week, but the case was postponed.

“I pleaded not guilty, because I think it’s important for people to stand up for their rights when they’re being persecuted,” he told the Long Beach Press-Telegram in March. “I’m not guilty, and I have the ability to prove it.”

If found guilty, Newmeyer’s charges will be considered misdemeanor offenses, though he also faces the possibility of owing $32,000 in damages for the glass door.

The day of the protest, the 20-year-old was arrested on four charges: assault and battery on an officer with a deadly weapon (the door), vandalism and obstruction of justice.

Newmeyer’s case was first given to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office, but they dropped the felony charges against Newmeyer. The Long Beach City Prosecutor’s office, however, proceeded in charging the student with criminal misdemeanor offenses.

Newmeyer and other students arrived at the CSU Board of Trustees meeting in Long Beach to protest a potential 9 percent tuition increase when they were told to leave the meeting due to their numerous outbursts. CSU police attempted to escort the demonstrators out of the building, but this resulted in officers shoving and pepper spraying protestors.

The protestors proceeded to shake and bang on the glass door until it shattered and cut an officer’s arm. Videos show Newmeyer shaking the door, and police reprimanded him soon after the door shattered.

Newmeyer and the other demonstrators protested at the Chancellor’s Office on November 15 to show their disapproval of the possible 9 percent tuition increase.

Newmeyer declined to comment on his trial.