CSULB measures greenhouse gas emissions

In an effort to cut down on green house gas emissions associated with commuting to the Cal State Long Beach, the university is conducting a campus-wide survey to discover sustainable alternatives for commuters.

A beach cruiser bike or an iPad will be raffled off as an incentive for participating in the survey, according to Energy and Sustainability Manager Paul Wingco. Students must leave a valid email to be drawn into the raffle.

Reducing green house gas emissions is a priority for CSULB, according to Wingco. In 2011, President F. King Alexander signed a commitment with the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) in an effort to reduce global warming emissions, according to Wingco. The commitment includes conducting a green house gas inventory.

The green house gas inventory is a report of the energy, natural gas and commuting emissions produced by the campus, according to Wingco.

Seven other Cal State University campuses signed the agreement, including Cal State Northridge, Cal State Fullerton and Cal Poly Pomona, according to CSU Spokesman Erik Fallis.

“The survey is to gather feedback on campus travel preferences,” Wingco said. The information, he said, will help to quantify green house gas emissions by students.

In turn, students will get a chance to weigh in on viable alternatives for commuting to campus. Whether a student drives, carpools, vanpools or bikes, the feedback will help to develop new transportation options that could limit green house gas release, Wingco said.

A climate action plan will be submitted in 2014 to offer solutions to reduce CSULB’s green house gas emissions, Wingco said.

The survey will help to fill a gap of data missing on the travel patterns of students, Vice President of Administration and Finance Mary Stephens said.

“We’re very dependent on them [students] to respond to this,” Stephens said. “It would significantly contribute to our sustainability efforts.”

The survey will be available from April 15 to 29, and students can take it here.