VP of student services to retire

A few weeks into the upcoming fall semester, Cal State Long Beach Vice President of Student Services Douglas Robinson will be leaving The Beach for a place much more tropical.

Amid a series of administrative changes, Robinson announced his coming retirement from CSULB earlier this week. He will officially retire August 1.

Robinson has been the longest running vice president in the CSU system, having served as vice president to four different campus presidents since 1991, according to President F. King Alexander. He has been responsible for every aspect of student life outside the classroom and led more than 35 university departments and programs in CSULB.

“It’s time,” Robinson, who is 66 years old, said. “I am leaving when I am healthy, happy, not mad at anybody, not angry with any constituent group. It’s really just the perfect time.”

After his retirement, Robinson said he will spend some time at his other home in Hawaii. He said he didn’t expect retiring to be such an emotional roller coaster.

“I thought I could be macho, man up and just stand there,” he said. “But when I informed my managers at our annual manager’s retreat last Friday, that’s when it struck me.”

He said he had been planning to retire for some time but didn’t want to spend an entire semester saying goodbye to people. Before retiring, he first wanted to make sure CSULB’s resources had been secured.

“One of the key deciding points for me was the passage of Proposition 30,” he said. “Had it not been passed, I would not have left the university on a lurch.”

He said his departure has nothing to do with Alexander’s leaving to Louisiana State University.

“This was planned. [Alexander] and [Provost Donald Para] knew about it all along. I think a lot of people think I will be leaving to go with [Alexander] to Louisiana, but I’m leaving because the timing is right.”

Mary Ann Takemoto, who has served as associate vice president of student services and director of counseling and psychological services, has been appointed as the interim vice president for student services. She will assume her new position August 1.

Terri Carbaugh, associate vice president of legislative and external relations, said she finds Robinson’s departure bittersweet.

“You can’t underestimate the impact that [Robinson] has had, his ability to navigate and strategically plan to handle problems,” she said. “[But Robinson’s] replacement is [also] very experienced, so I think we’re going to look forward to a very smooth transition.”

Associated Students Inc. Vice President Jonathon Bolin said Robinson had taken him and ASI President John Haberstroh under his wing.

“[Robinson] taught us about the inner-workings and politics of the campus,” he said. “I am sad to see him leave, but after more than 20 years here at CSULB, I am happy that he is retiring when CSULB is strong and stable.”

Robinson said he hopes the next vice president of student services understands that students should always be the priority.

“I hope that they have a management philosophy that incorporates planning, assessment, paying attention to making good personnel decisions,” he said.

Robinson also said he hopes his permanent replacement will be a humanistic individual who understands the importance of relationships with the faculty, staff and students.

However, despite his retirement, Robinson said this isn’t going to be the end of his relationship with CSULB.

“I’ll always have a special place in my heart for this campus and I’ll continue to be a contributor both financially, and I’ll serve on committees,” he said, “whatever they ask me to do.”