Anti-abortion group should attempt ‘Plan B’ before offending women

It is no coincidence the pro-life organization known as the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform visited Cal State Long Beach just days after the F.D.A approved that 17 year olds could purchase morning-after contraception pills. The CBER — armed with horribly offensive pictures of genocide violence and aborted fetuses — compared abortion to the holocaust and race-related murders.

What a sickening way to push an agenda.

What these close-minded morons don’t understand is that the new age minimum for the pills known as Plan B will actually prevent abortions from occurring.

According to The New York Times, the drug consists of two pills that can prevent conception if taken within 72 hours of sexual intercourse, and is not related to RU 486, the abortion pill.

Is that clear enough, CBER? It keeps conception from occurring! This is not an abortion; this is a responsible way to take care of young people who act sexually irresponsible.

Now I know a lot of pro-lifers will think my words condone sexual promiscuity among minors; not at all. Millions of 17 year olds engage in sex and there isn’t a goddamn thing we can do about it. What we can do is take precautionary measures to make sure that children aren’t bringing children into this world. It’s a realistic response to behavior that will not go away.

The New York Times reports that in the United States alone, one-in-three girls under the age of 20 will get pregnant; 80 percent of pregnancies in this age group are unplanned.

These numbers are absolutely staggering. If you think that showing bloody and mangled fetuses will stop young people from terminating pregnancies, you’re wrong. Not even the risk of deadly sexually transmitted diseases will stop kids from engaging in unprotected sex.

Your shock methods mean nothing to teens, CBER! Why don’t you start being a part of the solution rather than telling women what to do with their bodies?

There really isn’t much of an answer to this challenging issue. Teenagers are not acting more sexually responsible, even with increased education and readily available contraception.

James Trussell, director of the Office of Population Research at Princeton University told The New York Times that the Plan B contraception pill “is not going to be a cheap cure to the unintended pregnancy epidemic in this country … It’s depressing.”

It’s obvious that Plan B will not solve this problem, but it’s a start. Abortion is a horribly difficult decision to have to make — especially when you’re a minor. Making this pill available over the counter to 17 year olds at least minimizes the option to abort.

There is nothing more disgraceful than scare tactics used under the guise of education, and that’s why I slam the practices of the CBER. The reason these groups resort to such measures is because they work — sometimes. George W. Bush successfully used them to secure four additional years in office.

Let’s just hope the CBER’s methods are as successful as G.W.’s second term; it’s time for Plan B.

Grady Dunne is a senior journalism major and an assistant opinions editor for the Daily Forty-Niner.

1. Anonymous

Excellent article Grady, well said and I completely agree! This is horrendous, so wrong forcing these types of images on every student who passes by. It completely offended my daughter, sickened her actually, What a way to remember her last day of classes at CSULB!! She will carry those disgusting images with her — but it will NOT change her views on abortion one way or the other. CSULB officials should NOT allow such explicitly graphic images on their campus… it is just wrong!

2. I agree with Keith. This method of so-called “contraception” is still considered abortion in my book. Whether an ovum is implanted in the ovarian wall or not, it’s alive. The moment the egg is fertilized, it’s living. Regular birth control that prevents fertilization…yeah, I’m fine with that, because there is nothing to, for lack of a better word “kill off” Yet with Plan B or “the morning after” pill, you’re basically flushing your fertilized egg down the toilet. Disgusting. Appalling. Depressing.
    Sad.

3. Gayle Morton

Thank goodness women could use the pill by the time I was old enough to bcome sexually active. By the time I was in grad-school abortion was legal. Two of the greatest things for guys in american history. No worries, no responsibilities, no guilt. Who needs that stuff.

Will women ever realize that contraception and abortion are not for their benefit but for the benefit of men who don’t really deserve them?

4. Wow, two daft pro-abortion editorials in as many weeks. Are these the breeding grounds for shrill writers?

5. Your name

I must congratulate Grady Dunne on a fine article. As a member of the first generation to use the pill, I remember well the oposition to its use by church groups and other organizations. Here we go again. I would just ask these folks to mind their own business. How can anyone stand in judgement of such an intimate issue as the right to reproduce or refrain from reproducing? This is a private matter. Lay off.

6. Emergency contraception works by either a) preventing fertilization, or b) preventing implantation of a fertilized ovum. The latter is what CBER is objecting to, most likely, because a fertilized ovum is a living being with 46 chromosomes and two human parents, otherwise known as a being of the species Homo sapiens sapiens. A living human being, in other words. The only reason it’s not considered abortion is because some medical communities have given the hand-waving explanation of “it’s not an abortion until after implantation,” even if it’s a human being days before that.