Our View-Cellphone sex-ed for teens sends positive messages

Click it or ticket. We wear our seatbelts not just because it’s the law but also because it will keep us safe. How do we know we are safer with a seatbelt? Logic and education. We learned that we can die or be seriously injured if we fail to buckle up. The logical step after learning this was not to avoid riding in cars, but to wear seatbelts.

This same logic should be applied to teenagers when it comes to sex education.

Sex education in schools has been a point of contention for a long time. Abstinence-only versus comprehensive, cohesive sex education that includes contraceptives is at the heart of this debate.

One side preaches abstinence-only, telling teenagers to simply not have sex until marriage, leaving out any mention of contraceptives altogether. The other side promotes abstinence while also introducing contraceptives and correct usage.

Teaching teenagers about condoms, birth control and the like arms them with knowledge. Abstinence-only sex ed is, as Sarah Palin’s teenage daughter Bristol, puts it “not realistic.” Yet, there are plenty of states that push this kind of “education,” North Carolina being one. According to The New York Times, North Carolina has the country’s ninth-highest teen pregnancy rate. Could this be directly linked to the abstinence-only curriculum? We think so.

The Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Campaign of North Carolina created a text-messaging program aimed at answering questions teens may have about sex.

The 24-hour Birds and Bees Text Line service is operated by adults, most who have children of their own. According to the appcnc.org website, “We won’t judge you or preach to you; you get the best advice and information that we can offer free of charge. All questions are welcome and no question is too outrageous. We’re here to help.”

They do not give medical advice, but will direct texters to local clinics, hotlines and other services that may be of some help. Teens text in anonymously with a question and receive an answer within 24 hours. The service is trying to reach teens through the device that is most precious to them — the cellphone.

Technology is a great way to communicate and send information. In this case, it assists teenagers who might feel embarrassed or afraid to talk to teachers or parents about sex.

The Birds and Bees Text Line provides a direct private link to an adult who can answer questions like, “What do I do if a condom breaks?” or “Can I get pregnant or AIDS if it’s my first time?” Questions are asked and answered without parental knowledge, which might make some parents nervous or angry. But why?

Why would you be mad if your child is seeking out vital information that could help to preserve their sexual health? And by sexual health we mean not getting pregnant or contracting STDs. This is not a bad thing. As a society we must wake up and teach our kids to be smart.

Lack of parental control can be a good thing. Teenagers need to have their questions answered by an adult, not a best friend who will most likely give false information. This program is doing wonderful things by getting answers to teenagers without judgment or shame.

Some folks like to shout, “Whatever happened to good old-fashioned family values?” Well, we like to shout back, “What happened to ‘it takes a village?'”

When it comes down to it, it’s as simple as this: It makes no sense to walk everywhere just because you don’t understand what a seatbelt can do — you can still get hit walking down the street.

1. Your name

Mr. Aula, all the facts are out there that Sarah Palin is an Abstinence Only sex education. Just google it, you’ll find out that her daughter wasn’t a sex education, period. I can’t believe you made it into the CSU system.

2. Please provide a credible source for which you came to the conclusion that Sarah Palin is an Abstinence Only sex education. Because she doesn’t support that. Please educate yourselves before making sweeping statements that were fed to you by the liberal media. I suggest if you want the most accurate Sarah Palin information regarding her views that you visit Conservatives4Palin.com because Sarah Palin has never EVER once said she supports Abstinence Only sex ed. And no one has ever found her to have said that she supports abstinence only. Stop spreading gossip and spread facts about Sarah Palin.