Editorials, Opinions

Our View: Integrity is questioned when news is sponsored

It’s not too often that we get to comment on the state of journalism; however, the recent controversy at the Orange County Register has drummed up some conversation.

The OC Register has partnered with three local universities, Cal State Fullerton, University of California, Irvine and Chapman University, to produce special university-centered sections about their respective institutions.

For $275,000 apiece, the universities are promised a half-page advertisement in 45 sections during the next year, as well as focused news stories, features and personality profiles about each school, according to an article by the Los Angeles Times.

OC Register publisher Aaron Kushner, who bought the newspaper last year, assures the paper will maintain editorial control over the content on the page, regardless of the fact that the three universities will be paying for the coverage.

Anytime that a newspaper has a “sponsored” section in its publication, there is always worry of a conflict of interest. Are the news stories legitimate if they are being paid for by the business that the journalists are reporting on?

This same question was raised when the LA Times entered an agreement with the Staples Center to share profits from a special section covering the then-new downtown sports arena. The LA Times later apologized for the agreement.

In the pitch made by the OC Register to the universities, it was said that the main story in each section would focus on the successes of the institution. It makes sense that the universities would be excited by this offer, but in entering this partnership, we worry that it hurts the integrity of the OC Register.

As a newspaper that covers campus news, we can vouch that all news coming from college campuses is not hunky-dory. While the OC Register claims it will be in control of the content, will it also continue being the watchdog it is supposed to be?

We understand why the OC Register would enter such an agreement. Print media is struggling for funding from advertising, and this is a unique way to make some money.

In the past year, the OC Register has hired on a lot of new and younger reporters. Much of our staff has written for the OC Register before or might in the future. So in a sense, we support the OC Register is finding new avenues to keep the newspaper afloat.

But is this the right way?

These sections might be filled with a lot of fluff, but honestly that is what local university communities would like to read. We just hope that these sections will be marked by a header or banner stating that the section is paid for by the university.

If this is the case, then maybe these new sections will work.

We only fear that this could be a slippery slope in which more and more sections of the OC Register and other newspapers are sponsored by businesses because it is the only way to keep them alive.