Men's Volleyball, Sports

LBSU leaves Central Coast winless

The No. 21 Long Beach State women’s volleyball team watched Cal Poly hit the lights out through the first two sets Saturday night, and then half of the lights literally went out at Mott Gym.

The 49ers (11-5, 1-2 Big West Conference) were swept, 25-18, 25-18, 25-21, and have now lost six consecutive sets including last night’s loss to UC Santa Barbara.

With Cal Poly (13-4, 3-1 Big West) leading 13-12 in set three, half the lights in the arena went out and caused about a 15-minute delay in action, according to LBSU Sports Information Director Roger Kirk, who handled the play-by-play duties on the radio.

When play resumed, the ‘Niners were able to tie the frame at 15 but never pulled ahead. LBSU cut another Cal Poly lead to 20-19 but would get no closer.

Caitlin Ledoux and Janisa Johnson both collected 11 kills to pace The Beach. The duo of Dominique Olowolafe and Kristina Graven recorded 13 kills apiece to lead the Mustangs, who hit an impressive .394 as a team.

LBSU fell into an 0-2 hole after a second set that saw freshman setter Ashley Vazquez check in for senior Ashley Lee.

The teams were tied at 12 until Cal Poly scored three consecutive points and didn’t relinquish the lead en route to a 25-18 victory.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro also swapped defensive specialist Laura Schuck for redshirt freshman Gabby Pulig, who made her collegiate debut. Gimmillaro went back to Lee and Schuck in the third set.

The Mustangs hit .483 in the first set to open the match with a 25-18 victory.

Cal Poly led by as many as seven points on seven different occasions, but the 49ers missed an opportunity to get back into the set. Trailing 20-17, LBSU junior Lauren Minkel and sophomore Sarah Clause failed to communicate on a free ball and the miscue was enough for the Mustangs, who closed the frame with four consecutive points.

The 49ers will return home Friday for a match against UC Davis. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.