Men's Basketball, Sports

Turnovers, lackluster shooting lead to 49ers first Big West Conference loss

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team didn’t have the look of the confident, cohesive squad that peaked its head out from underneath all of the question marks surrounding them over the last few games.

After starting Big West Conference play with two steps in the right direction, LBSU took one big step backward, committing 26 turnovers in their 57-50 loss to Cal State Northridge on Saturday evening.

The Beach [7-9, 2-1 Big West] shot just 34.5 percent [20-58] from the field for the game, and settled for 23 3-point attempts, making just seven of them. With the players settling for jump shots, and not attacking the basket, LBSU went to the free throw line just seven times, converting on only three.

Freshman Lauren Spargo led the way for The Beach, scoring all 15 of her points in the second half. Spargo shot 6 of 15 from the field, including 3 of 7 from 3-point range, while pulling down seven rebounds.

Junior Jhakia McDonald also had a solid game for the ‘Niners. McDonald scored 12 points on 5 of 10 shooting, knocking down 2 of 5 from behind the arc.

LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said that her team wasn’t ready for the physical play that the Matadors [8-7, 3-0 Big West] brought to the table.

“It was a very physical game.” She said, “I think they played harder than us, the hustle, the scrap and the toughness just weren’t there tonight.”

Spargo said that she and her teammates will learn from this game, and be more ready the next time these two matchup.

“At least we know now that next time we play them we need to come out with that intensity.” She said, “The energy will be shared by everyone.”

With 6-3 senior Jasmine Erving and 6-1 junior Violet Alama anchoring the paint for the Matadome, and with LBSU senior Tipesa Moorer fighting off hard double teams throughout the contest, it looked as if The Beach felt that the ‘long ball’ was the only option.

As a result, Moorer had a tough shooting contest, putting up just six points on 3 of 12 shooting.

Coach Wynn said that her teams inability to get to the free throw line led to them settling for too many outside shots.

“We settled for far too many 3-point shots instead of getting paint touches.” She said, “We couldn’t get to the free throw line, and because of that I think we settled for a lot of three’s.”

Despite shooting a dismal 29.6 percent [8-27] in the first half and committing 13 opening period turnovers, the ‘Niners trailed by just four, 22-18 at the break.

Coach Wynn said she was expecting more from her squad in the second half after the performance they gave in the opening period.

“Being down four as poorly as we shot and turning the ball over as much as we did, I thought it could only get better.” She said.

Wynn added: “[Lauren] Spargo and Jhakia [McDonald] came to life offensively [in the second half], but unfortunately, the hustle, the scrap, the fight and the toughness just wasn’t there tonight.”

A Spargo 3-pointer capped off a 5-0 run which helped the ‘Niners cut the Matadors lead to four, 39-35 with 7:59 to play in the contest.

CSUN answered back with a 6-0 run of their own, which extended their lead to double digits for the first time in the game at 49-38.

LBSU was able to mount yet another comeback, cutting the lead just three at 51-48 with 1:10 to play. The Matadors closed out the game with a 6-2 run, dropping The Beach 57-50.

Erving paced CSUN with 14 points on 7 of 12 shooting, while pulling down a game-high 10 rebounds. Freshman Camille Mahlknecht chipped in 11 points on 5 of 9 shooting and five rebounds off the bench. Freshman Janae Sharpe pitched in nine points, five rebounds and five assists for the Matadors.

LBSU will hit the road for their next two games, the first stop being on Thursday at the University of the Pacific. Tip is set for 7 p.m.