Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Sports

‘Niner Notes: LBSU basketball to take on Michigan

Men’s basketball to open Puerto Rico Tip-Off against Michigan

This year’s Puerto Rico Tip-Off bracket was announced Tuesday, revealing that Long Beach State will face last season’s NCAA finals runner-up Michigan in the opening round.

Of the tournament’s four opening games, LBSU’s matchup against the Wolverines on Nov. 21 will be the only one televised nationally on ESPN2.

The Beach, as well as Michigan, will play either Florida State or Virginia Commonwealth the following day, depending on how all four teams fare.

With Michigan participating in the tournament, LBSU will face at least six of last season’s NCAA tournament participants in its non-conference schedule this year.

The Beach will conclude the three-game tournament on Sunday, Nov. 24. Tip-off for the opening game is set for 2 p.m. PT at the Roberto Clemente Coliseo in San Juan.

LBSU water polo’s Kotsia to compete for Greece in FINA World Championship

LBSU Athletics announced Monday that the 49ers’ women’s water polo player Christina Kotsia was named to Greece’s Women’s Senior National Team that will compete in the FINA World Championship in Barcelona, Spain.

The Greek team will open the competition on Sunday against the 2012 Olympic gold medalist U.S. team, while the rest of the championship will continue through Aug. 2.

Kotsia finished second on the team in scoring with 50 goals as a freshman last season, while leading the team in scoring 11 times as well as scoring in 17 consecutive games.

Following the championship, the Athens, Greece native will also compete for Greece’s junior national team at the 10th FINA World Women’s Junior Water Polo Championships in Volos, Greece on Aug. 18.

Former Dirtbag Joey Terdoslavich called up to Atlanta Braves

Joey Terdoslavich became the most recent and 44th former Dirtbag to reach the major leagues on July 4 as he was called up to the MLB by the Atlanta Braves.

In nine games with Atlanta this year, the converted outfielder owns a .188 batting average with a run scored. Before he was called up, Terdoslavich was hitting .318 with 18 home runs in 85 games in Triple-A Gwinnett.

Terdoslavich is now the 13th former Dirtbag on an MLB roster, extending LBSU’s lead in the category.

— Compiled by Assistant Sports Editor Daniel Astle