‘Niner Notes: Roger Kirk becomes new director of media relations

Roger Kirk promoted to Assistant Athletics Director of Media Relations

Long Beach State announced Friday that Roger Kirk has been promoted to Assistant Athletics Director of Media Relations, replacing Stephanie Sampson, who was let go in June.

Kirk, who was formerly the associate media relations director at LBSU, covered LBSU’s women’s volleyball, baseball and women’s water polo teams for the past five years and will now serve as the primary sports information director.

Since LBSU hired him in 2007, Kirk has received the West Region’s Grant Burger Media Award for outstanding service in the promotion of volleyball by the American Volleyball Coaches Association. Kirk also received a publications award by the College Sports Information Directors of America.

49ers women’s tennis 2013-14 schedule announced

LBSU women’s tennis head coach Jenny Hilt-Costello announced the team’s 2013-14 schedule Friday.

The 49ers will open their fall season in Las Vegas at the three-day UNLV Fall Invitational on Sept. 20, one of four tournaments the team will participate in this fall.

More than two months will separate the team’s fall season and its spring season. The Beach will open its spring season at home with the third annual Beach Classic on Jan. 10.

The 49ers will play a total of 14 home matches in its spring season, including eight nonconference games in the entire month of March.
LBSU concludes its season on April 18 at UC Riverside, one week after a home match with conference rival UC Irvine on April 12.

Graduated 49er Simone Hoey wins Lakewood Women’s City Golf Championship

Former LBSU golfer Simone Hoey won the Lakewood Women’s City Championship on Friday after setting a new course record with a final round 65.

Hoey beat second-place Clariss Guce of Cal State Northridge by six shots and finished the two-day event held at the Lakewood Country Club at 14 strokes under par.

After four years on the golf team, Hoey graduated from LBSU in the spring. She led the 49ers to two tournament titles and a second-place finish at the Big West Conference Championship.

— Compiled by Assistant Sports Editor Daniel Astle