Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

‘Niners to return home for matches against Cincinnati, LMU

Following a road trip where it split two games against opponents ranked in the preseason top 25, the Long Beach State women’s soccer team will return home Thursday for a weekend series against a pair of less competitive teams.

The 49ers (1-2-0) suffered a 4-0 defeat to a talented Santa Clara squad last weekend before topping No. 23 Texas Tech 3-2 with a goal in the final three seconds on Sunday.

This weekend the ‘Niners will have the pleasure of hosting a Cincinnati team (1-3-0) that dropped its first three games this season. The match will be played on Friday at George Allen Field amid a home crowd.

Sunday could present the 49ers with a challenge similar to what they faced this past weekend, as they will wrap up their homestand against Loyola Marymount (3-1-0), a team that started its season with three straight wins.

Coming off Sunday’s last-minute victory at Texas Tech, there can’t be much more the 49ers could expect to see from themselves during their series this weekend.

“It could be tough,” said freshman forward Mimi Rangel, who scored the game-winning goal. “I don’t know what could top [being down] 1-0 at the half, then coming back in the final three minutes and winning 3-2.”

While LBSU finished off a tough opponent with a remarkable second-half comeback, Rangel said that there are always things to practice and work on no matter how well a team feels they are playing.

Rangel said she agreed with what head coach Mauricio Ingrassia has been preaching: the key element is players learning how to play with each other.

“We’re still a brand new team,” Rangel said. “There are freshmen starting and people playing in new positions, and we are continuing to see how each player plays while learning off each other.”

The ‘Niners won’t be the only team looking to take advantage of its momentum this weekend, as Cincinnati earned its first victory in its home opener Sunday. Four different Cincy players scored to lead the Bearcats to a 4-1 win over UMass-Lowell.

LMU has started its season with a strong 3-1 record, but the Lions have yet to face a nationally competitive team. LMU’s most recent victory came in a narrow, double-overtime 1-0 decision against UC Santa Barbara (1-2-1).

The LBSU freshmen will be looking to earn the first home win of their young collegiate careers after losing to Northern Arizona in the home opener two weeks ago.

“Friday is our first home game back from traveling, and everyone will be in for a good win,” Rangel said. “We’re training hard, we want to win at home, and we’re ready for it.”

The ‘Niners will begin their homestand at George Allen Field on Friday against Cincinnati at 7 p.m. They will then play LMU at 6 p.m. on Sunday.