Uncategorized

Even obscure majors will do, so try something different

I’m certainly no stranger when it comes to college and career confusion. Having attended four different colleges in the past six years, and also having switched majors three times along the way, the path to graduation has been a long, troubling, and painstaking trek for me.

Like many other with Asian-American families, my mom drilled in my mind that the only “real” careers were that of becoming a doctor or a lawyer. My brother was to become a doctor and I was supposed to be the lawyer. No other options, ideas, achievements or interests mattered if they weren’t directed toward those two specific goals. So when I set out for my freshman year of college, wanting to become a reporter, my mom simply shook her head and continued with her mantra, “You would be such a great lawyer. I think you need to become a lawyer.” What can I say? Her message was hypnotizing.

Then, my focus became political science, and I eventually worked as an assistant at a corporate law firm. She was thrilled – I was not. I was confused, wondering why I’ve worked so hard to support myself and stay in school, but wasn’t enjoying what I was learning about. Plus, I couldn’t understand why I was so afraid to follow my interests.

According to an article titled, “Where opportunities lie for tomorrow’s graduates” in Suntimes.com by John Challenger, a survey by the National Association of Manufacturers discovered 84 percent of employers believe that K-12 schools aren’t preparing students for the workplace. We are given such limited knowledge about the actual possibilities of college throughout high school, that when we get here, most of us only know certain facts like: the study of biology can lead you to medicine, political science will prepare you for law school, a business degree will allow you to work at any corporation, major in education if you want to teach, psychology could lead to becoming a therapist.

Well, what about students interested in recreation and leisure studies, black studies, design, family and consumer science, comparative literature and classics, theatre, American Indian studies, all degrees offered at California State University, Long Beach, where your options for careers following graduation may not always be cut and dry? Did you know that there is a Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at CSULB? And don’t forget there is always the possibility of interdisciplinary studies, one utilized in the past being feminism in philosophy and literature. I don’t know about you, but I’ve definitely never heard of that one.

The important thing to always keep in mind is you your interests and your values. After all, that’s why you’re here: you, your career and your life. Also according to Challenger’s article, the three requirements employers look for in candidates are real-world experience, technology and analytical skills and a solid foundation of communication. These skills can be mastered solely by attending college, period.

When I spoke with Career Development Center Counselor Wayne Tokunaga, he said that most employers mainly focus on the fact that you have a bachelor’s degree because then they know you have completed that achievement, developed critical thinking skills, communication skills and have gained general knowledge beyond the high school level.

“For example, if you have a psychology degree, you develop general, employable skills like working with people. That can go across the board when it comes to jobs. A lot of employers want to just see if you are really interested in working for them.”

Don’t be afraid to look into obscure majors if that’s what you’re interested in. Always keep an open mind and know that you are already one step ahead of the game. You are here in college, and you can explore the possibilities that interest you.

“Because you are learning more general skills overall,” Tokunaga said, “broad majors can be seen as greater opportunities.”

Christine Harmon is a senior journalism major.