Uncategorized

Fresh start for Beach men’s water polo

Coming off a forgettable season in which the men’s water polo team finished with an overall record of 17-18 and eighth place in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF), the 49ers hope to make a statement this weekend.

The 49ers will take on No. 8 Pacific (6-2) in a series of matches that are part of the NorCal Tournament at Stanford this weekend.

Despite the MPSF Preseason Coaches Poll that selected the 49ers to finish in last place, the squad will take the pool behind first-year head coach Gavin Arroyo, who believes the poll’s results will only be used as motivation.

In a season full of newcomers, the 49ers will look to All-American Jay Girardi, who currently ranks No.21 all-time at LBSU in career goals with 99. In 2005, the third team All-MPSF selection led the team with 43 assists and recorded 19 steals.

The 49ers will play in front of first-year goalie Steve McKinzie, who spent the last two years at Diablo Valley College, where he was a two-time All-American.

Winners of their last four games, the Tigers will feature sophomores Shane Mahoney and Gant Hollis as well as junior Dragan Bakic and senior Matt Turnbull.

In the Princeton Invitational last weekend, Mahoney and Bakic scored four goals each while Hollis and Turnbull pitched in with three each.

Last season, the 49ers tied the season series against the Tigers, 1-1, but hold the all-time mark against the Tigers with a 45-18 record.