Uncategorized

LBSU Softball beat Hawai’i in regular season finale

The Long Beach State softball team closed its regular season sweeping Hawai’i in Saturday’s doubleheader to take the weekend series at the Long Beach State Softball Complex.

LBSU (32-30, 12-9) trailed Hawai’i 1-0 once the Rainbow Wahine (24-30, 8-13) scored a run at the top of the second inning, when senior second baseman Tayana Mata hit a lead-off single and scored after two hit batters and a bases-loaded walk.

The 49ers answered in the bottom of the fourth after senior third baseman Darian Tautalafua got a rally started with a lead-off single. Junior first baseman Julia Lombardi followed with a double to push Tautalafua to third base. Tautalafua scored on a passed ball to tie the game.

Freshman shortstop Nichole Fry gave the 49ers a 2-1 lead with an RBI single to score Lombardi.

Hawai’i tied the game in the sixth after junior pitcher Christina Clermont hit two batters to put two on with two outs. Freshman utility player Sarah Muzik then hit an RBI single to tie the game at 2.

LBSU took the lead for good after sophomore catcher Irma Sanchez hit a 2-run single in the sixth inning to give the 49ers a 4-2 win.

In game two, Clermont and Hawai’i pitcher Kanan Alna Cabrales were locked in a pitcher’s duel.
The two pitched five scoreless innings until the sixth when LBSU broke through to score after freshman designated player Tierra Falo hit the game-winning single to score senior centerfielder Alley Perkins.