Arts & Life, Special Projects, Student Choice Awards Winner

LA’s Finest Barber Shop prioritizes looking fresh and feeling your best

For incoming Cal State Long Beach students, an underrated aspect of life is choosing your barbershop; the importance cannot be stressed enough.

LA’s Finest Barber Shop has seemingly perfected the balance of high-quality haircuts and an enjoyable atmosphere, voted by students as the “Best Place to Shine.”

They offer various services ranging from your classic haircut to beard trims, tapers, fades and even hot towel shaves.

The shop is located at 4172 Woodruff Ave.
Lakewood, CA 90713 and you can order your professional haircut on their website by pressing "book Lakewood." Just under four miles from Long Beach State, it makes it an accessible location for students.
Lakewood, CA 90713 and you can order your professional haircut on their website by pressing "book Lakewood." Just under four miles from Long Beach State, it makes it an accessible location for students. Photo credit: Matthew Coleman

As soon as you walk in, the laid-back environment and quality service create an enjoyable service.

“We strive ourselves on experience. The haircut is more so the icing on the top,” owner Ruben Magaña said. “We definitely love to give people a good experience from the moment they walk in the door from the time they leave the door.”

Choosing your barbershop is more than just choosing where you get your haircut. The atmosphere of a barbershop can make or break your whole experience and the employees who work there are no strangers to this.

Alex Robledo, who has worked at the shop since its opening in July 2014, said accountability sets them apart from other barbershops in the region.

LA's Finest Barber Shop caters to clients from all age groups and they charge children under 13 at $25. Owner Ruben Magaña (right) is seen cutting a youngster’s hair during an early morning cut.
LA's Finest Barber Shop caters to clients from all age groups and they charge children under 13 at $25. Owner Ruben Magaña (right) is seen cutting a youngster’s hair during an early morning cut. Photo credit: Matthew Coleman

“We stay accountable, as well as being consistent, being a shop that caters to everyone from the young ones to the old heads,” Robledo said.

“We’re real family-oriented, we make sure that we put the community first,” Magaña said. “We’re always taking care of the people and giving back, a lot of these people [our employees] have been with us for several years.”

The spot’s modern vibe makes it a great spot for people of all ages to freshen up and get a high-quality haircut.

LA’s Finest Barber Shop is located at 4172 Woodruff Ave. Lakewood, CA 90713. Men’s haircuts cost $50 while other specialized services may vary.