Arts & Life, Special Projects

Sweat, strength and success: inside the heart of HardWorx Fitness

In the fitness realm where dedication meets determination, there exists a sanctuary for those who seek physical transformation and a lifestyle of perseverance and growth.

Voted by CSULB students as the “Best Place to Get Gains,” HardWorx Fitness has become a hub for health enthusiasts seeking not only physical gains but also a sense of community and belonging.

HardWorx Fitness is located within Outer Traffic Circle at 4290 Pacific Coast Highway Suite A in Long Beach.

Raúl E. Anaya III, owner of Hard Worx Fitness standing in front of the trophies case on the right-hand side of the entrance. These trophies (belts) behind Anaya were won by the members in their competitions in the tournaments that the gym held.
Raúl E. Anaya III, owner of Hard Worx Fitness standing in front of the trophies case on the right-hand side of the entrance. These trophies and belts were won by the members of their competitions in tournaments the gym held. Photo credit: Alyssa De La Cruz

Current owner Raúl E. Anaya III took over the gym in 2017 and HardWorx gym first opened in 2012. Anaya and the gym employees have created the gym’s reputation as a place for a great workout and a great sense of community.

“Owning a gym has never been in the plan for me, but I did have a so-called ‘drawing board’ in my mind and saw this opportunity,” Anaya said.

Boxing, kickboxing, Brazillian jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai fighting are all offered at the gym. They offer personal training sessions specializing in the member’s goals and offer group exercises.

Memberships and prices are disclosed on their website and they offer student discounts. They would prefer you to come into the gym to feel the environment first and move forward.

HardWorx Fitness has also hosted events for homeless shelters and children with disabilities. “We host these events not to get money out of it,” Anaya said, “We do it so others who don’t have the opportunity to come in have a chance to experience this.”

John Quach, manager of HardWorx Fitness, has been working at the gym since October 2022. He enjoys the atmosphere the gym gives, likes that everyone is motivated around him and that everyone provides a great culture.

John Quach (center) standing in the middle of a daily evening group class being held around 6 p.m. on a Monday. The group is currently doing leg lunges and HardWorx Fitness offers a free fitness assessment to find what your goals, measurements and fitness level are.
John Quach (center) standing in the middle of a daily evening group class being held around 6 p.m. on a Monday. The group is currently doing leg lunges and Hard Worx Fitness offers a free fitness assessment to find what your goals, measurements and fitness level are. Photo credit: Alyssa De La Cruz

“My day is always busy as soon as I walk in but all for good reasons, we bring in new members, do tours, any type of marketing and media, I take care of,” Quach said.

“I have since day one set the example of keeping this gym as a family-cultured gym,” Anaya said. “What sets us apart from other gyms is that we show a lot of motivation to our clients and that keeps them returning,”

Travon Murell has been attending HardWorx Fitness for around five months and says it has been a great experience for him because of the genuine care he receives from the staff.

“The coaches care about your growth rather than getting paid for what they teach you. It’s a great gym that has amazing things to offer,” Murrell said.

“HardWorx Fitness is different from other gyms because we are not another big gym, we are a community/family that works together to achieve our fitness goals,” said Evan Boulton, HardWorx worker for seven years.

HardWorx Fitness is open seven days a week, Monday through Thursday 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.