Arts & Life, Special Projects, Student Choice Awards Winner

Taste Day ‘n’ Nite with The Breakfast Bar

From traditional fluffy pancakes to signature Bloody Marys, The Breakfast Bar located at ​​3404 E. Fourth St. is a community-driven business that combines early mornings with a taste of nightlife.

Long Beach State students picked The Breakfast Bar as the Best Wake N’ Bacon for the 2023 Student Choice Awards.

With The Breakfast Bar celebrating its 10th anniversary on Dec. 13, general manager Alberto Nuñez said there are plans to open more locations in the future.

“We’re planning on probably having each side of Long Beach location so we’re still looking for West and North and East,” Nuñez said.

Owners Josh and Pamela Beadel always intended for their restaurant to stay as part of the Long Beach community. “They wanted to build a place where graveyard shifts that people work could find a place where they can have breakfast and they can have a drink too,” Nuñez said.

The Breakfast Bar has a full bar with a long list of various drinks, including shots, Bloody Marys, cocktails, beers and wines. Their cocktail menu is full of intriguing names like the OG Mary, Mind Screwer and La Paloma Loca as the drink prices range from $10 to $20.

The restaurant has a large array of menu items such as french toast combos, vegan bowls and tomato basil soup, which is around $13 to $20.

Nuñez has grown alongside the restaurant and has worked for The Breakfast Bar for around 10 years. He has seen customers go out of their way for the establishment but one customer stuck in his mind.

“Chuck Rogers, he’s a long-time customer with us and during the pandemic, he’s the one that helped us, even came out of his pocket to pay some of our salaries,” Nuñez said.

“He loved the restaurant so much he moved from San Francisco. He wanted to make sure that we never went under and helped the owner pay the staff,” he said.

The restaurant is less than 10 minutes from campus so it has become a favorite destination among Long Beach State students.

Nuñez said The Breakfast Bar’s goal to bring the community together is what sets it apart from other restaurants.

“We’re a hipster environment, very welcoming where we don’t judge. We love everybody, we want everybody to be a part of this,” Nuñez said.

The Breakfast Bar is open Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Friday through Sunday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.