Queen of England dies at 96

Queen Elizabeth II, the first British monarch to reign for 70 years, died at the age of 96 in Balmoral, Scotland.

Over the next few days, the United Kingdom government will launch Operation London Bridge, a formerly covert plan set to take place once the queen had passed. Her son, King Charles, is next in line to take over the British monarchy as king of England. Prince William now stands next in line for the throne.

“The death of my beloved Mother, Her Majesty the Queen, is a moment of the greatest sadness for me and all members of my life,” said King Charles in a released statement. “We mourn profoundly the passing of a cherished Sovereign and much-loved mother.”

President Joe Biden, who had a speech this afternoon regarding covid vaccines, released a statement in honor of the late queen of England.

“Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was more than a monarch. She defined an era,” Biden said. “She was the first British monarch to whom people all around the world could feel a personal and immediate connection.”

The queen had celebrated her Platinum Jubilee earlier this year, Feb. 6, the first British monarch to do so, celebrating 70 years of reign over the United Kingdom. During her reign, Queen Elizabeth worked to modernize the monarchy, with an interest in bringing “the monarchy closer to the people.”

Queen Elizabeth II dies at the age of 96, making King Charles the new king of England.
Queen Elizabeth II dies at the age of 96, making King Charles the new king of England. Photo credit: BBC

The King and the Queen Consort traveled to Scotland where doctors had reported medical concerns for the late queen’s health and plan to return to London tomorrow.

“During this period of mourning and change, my family and I will be comforted and sustained by our knowledge of the respect and deep affection in which The Queen so widely held,” King Charles said.