Students protest proposed tuition hikes during Week of Welcome

By: Anthony Orrico, Jd Preslicka and Carlos Yakimowich

Members of Students Against Tuition Hikes protested in the central quad Wednesday during Week of Welcome to oppose the California State University Board of Trustees proposed 6% tuition hike.

Among the booths at Week of Welcome, bullhorn sirens, chants and speeches rang out all over campus. The protesters marched from upper campus down to the Go Beach sign outside Brotman Hall.

Long Beach 8/30 Third year communications major Luis Ortiz speaks to protesters in front of the Go Beach sign near Brotman Hall
08/30/2023 – Long Beach, Calif: Third-year communications major Luis Ortiz speaks to protesters in front of the Go Beach sign near Brotman Hall to protest the increase in tuition costs for Cal State Long Beach students. Photo credit: Anthony Orrico

Jennifer Chavez, a third-year sociology major, said the aim of the protest was to spread awareness around campus about the proposed tuition hikes. She added that many students she talked to during the week were not aware of the proposal.

“I still feel like there’s a lot of fighting to do and still a lot of awareness that needs to be spread,” Chavez said.

Chavez added that they plan to protest the Sept. 12 Board of Trustees meeting.

The proposed tuition increase would raise tuition at all CSU campuses by 6% over the next five years. This is in response to a 70-page report released in May by CSU that found that they have only enough funds to cover about 85% of all costs.

The 6% yearly tuition increase will bring tuition up from the current amount of $5,742 to $6,084 for the 2024-25 school year.

08/30/2023 - Long Beach, Calif: Cal State Long Beach protest the tuition increase by marching around campus with signs, chants, and calls for action.
08/30/2023 – Long Beach, Calif: Cal State Long Beach protest the tuition increase by marching around campus with signs, chants, and calls for action. Photo credit: Anthony Orrico

As the CSU Board of Trustees toys with our livelihood and our future we must come together as a powerful and united force and make our demands heard,” Re Prado, one of the protest organizers, addressed the crowd in front of the Go Beach sign.

The proposed increase is set to fund graduation rates, fast-tracked degrees, facilities and student services.

The Associated Student Union Senate has also spoken out about the proposal, voting unanimously at Wednesday’s meeting to formally oppose the hike.

“In my role as student body president, I align myself with my fellow students in their apprehensions about the suggested tuition hike. I’ve communicated these very concerns to both the Lt. Governor and the CSU administrators. The accessibility and affordability of education are integral, and any action affecting these aspects must be thoughtfully deliberated,” said ASI President Mitali Jain via email.

Protestors argue that the priorities of the school are misleading, with the 6% increase indirectly funding the campus police and programs that affect working-class migrant students on and off campus.

08/30/2023 - Long Beach, Calif: Cal State Long Beach students march down next to the University Student Union building to protest against the tuition increase.
08/30/2023 – Long Beach, Calif: Cal State Long Beach students march down next to the University Student Union building to protest against the tuition increase. Photo credit: Anthony Orrico

“The tuition hikes are happening in the context of priorities to fund campus policing and giving money to and building relationships with companies like Boeing and Northrop Grumman. Through the STEM department, which directly contributes to the policing and militarization of our people.”

California Faculty Association union members joined the protesters. The CFA has advocated for a 12% salary increase and stood in solidarity with the student protestors.

“I am here in solidarity with the students who are demanding not to raise tuition and support their fundamental right to a quality public education,” said Associate Professor of Sociology Steven Osuna. “There are enough funds in the bank of the university to fund not only their education, but to raise the wages to workers that are demanding better wages to improve the working conditions of faculty.”

University President Jane Close Conoley weighed in on the issue and is working on ways to mitigate the potential hikes.

Long Beach 8/30 Third-year communications major Luis Ortiz speaks to protesters in front of the Go Beach sign near Brotman Hall
08/30/2023 – Long Beach, Calif: Cal State University Long Beach third-year communications major Luis Ortiz speaks to protesters in front of the Go Beach sign near Brotman Hall. Photo credit: Anthony Orrico

“The campus does not play a role in setting tuition rates. This lies only with the Board of Trustees. We have, however, made a study of how many of our students would be affected and have been working hard to raise additional scholarship funds through our No Barriers Campaign. We have also improved our financial aid efforts such that more funding is being made available for students,” Conoley said via email.

Protest organizers also expressed their intention to protest and make public comment at the Board of Trustees meeting on Sept. 12 where the board will vote to finalize the proposed tuition hike.