Senior earns All-American honors at NCAA Indoor Championships
By | 2009-03-14T00:00:00+00:00 Mar 14, 2009 | 12:00 am|Categories: Men's Track & Field, Sports|

Sprinter Brent Gray finished his phenomenal career as a 49er Friday, earning All-American honors as he placed sixth in the 200-meter NCAA Indoor Championships. “I came in ranked 14th so to finish sixth was good,” Gray said. “Although I wanted more, I’m still happy with what I got.” Gray competed against 13 of the top sprinters in the country at the McFerrin Athletic Center on the campus of Texas A&M. During the race, Gray lost his footing as he ran around the curve and still was able to place high. “The first thing I thought when he lost his footing is that his hamstring might have strained,” head coach Andy Sythe said. “But then he re-accelerated and caught back up.” Gray finished his last meet with a bang and bettered his previous school record with a time of 20.90. The two-time Big West Athlete of the Year is a magnet to breaking records and winning awards. Gray became just the fourth athlete in program history to earn three-time All-American honors. He is also the reigning three-time Mountain Pacific Sports Federation indoor champion in the 200. Gray finished his 49er career with six school records. “Brent has essentially helped elevate our […]

Sprinter Brent Gray finished his phenomenal career as a 49er Friday, earning All-American honors as he placed sixth in the 200-meter NCAA Indoor Championships.

“I came in ranked 14th so to finish sixth was good,” Gray said. “Although I wanted more, I’m still happy with what I got.”

Gray competed against 13 of the top sprinters in the country at the McFerrin Athletic Center on the campus of Texas A&M. During the race, Gray lost his footing as he ran around the curve and still was able to place high.

“The first thing I thought when he lost his footing is that his hamstring might have strained,” head coach Andy Sythe said. “But then he re-accelerated and caught back up.”

Gray finished his last meet with a bang and bettered his previous school record with a time of 20.90.

The two-time Big West Athlete of the Year is a magnet to breaking records and winning awards. Gray became just the fourth athlete in program history to earn three-time All-American honors. He is also the reigning three-time Mountain Pacific Sports Federation indoor champion in the 200.

Gray finished his 49er career with six school records.

“Brent has essentially helped elevate our program to a national sprint program,” Sythe said. “He is the greatest sprinter we have had.”

Leave A Comment