Valentine’s Day: Flower power

ood trucks are a common sight around the Los Angeles area, but a new kind of truck is making its way around town.

Jennifer Kaplan, owner of The Flower Truck, made a stop at Cal State Long Beach Tuesday to open shop for the coming holiday. The variety of arrangements and originality of the truck turned student’s heads all day as the sweet aroma of flowers filled the air.

Kaplan said that approximately 200 students visited the truck, picking up floral presents for their lucky significant others.

Kaplan explained that she initially got the idea for her truck when she saw “the creativity of the food trucks.” One day, the idea of a flower truck popped into her head, and three years later, she hasn’t looked back.

“It’s just a feel-good kind of business,” Kaplan said, when asked why she sells the flowers. “They’re beautiful. Who doesn’t like flowers?”

Jennifer explained how people usually buy flowers based on how visually appealing they are, but she said it’s the smell that attracts people to the truck.

She said the flowers with the most vivid colors are usually the first to go.

Kaplan gets more business for her small bouquets, although she said there is great significance in giving just a single flower.

“It has that ‘I just picked this for you’ feel to it,” she said. “It’s like finding the best pick for someone.”

Each type of flower holds a specific meaning with it, as stated on theflowerexpert.com.

Among her most popular flowers are: Gerbera Daisies, which symbolize cheerfulness, sunflowers, which are a sign of pure thoughts and adoration, and tulips, which represent perfect love.

The most widely known is the rose, which symbolizes love and affection. Kaplan said that different colors hold different meanings as well.

Unique combinations of flowers and their colors can convey a personalized message to the bouquet receiver.

“Red roses mean love, yellow roses mean friendship, white roses are more for sympathy,” she said.