Valentine’s Day: Setting the mood with food

Humans have been seeking the perfect aphrodisiac for centuries.

The name originally comes from the Greek Goddess Aphrodite, who embodied sexual desire and the power of love. The word literally means “the agent of the love goddess,” according to the Encyclopedia of Aphrodisiacs by Christian Rätsch and Claudia Müller-Ebeling.

In Greek and Roman mythology, plants that resembled human genitalia were named after the goddesses of romance and believed to have properties that would promote passion.

While today we know that these phallic foods don’t actually have an effect on arousal, the Encyclopedia of Aphrodisiacs said that vision plays a role in stimulation nevertheless.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration clinically defines an aphrodisiac as “a food, drink, drug, scent, or device that, promoters claim, can arouse or increase sexual desire, or libido. A broader definition includes products that improve sexual performance”.

Among the better known, some ingredients recognized by the FDA are ginseng, licorice, mandrake and sarsaparilla. These items have been present as ingredients in aphrodisiac drug products.
However, the FDA said that all of these aphrodisiacs are somehow chemically manufactured. Furthermore, the FDA said that there is no such thing as a culinary aphrodisiacs picked straight from the vine.

Culturally, aphrodisiacs promote passion and stimulate desire, and they are sometimes found to improve sexual performance. In this way, what defines an aphrodisiac varies, according to the Encyclopedia. In some cultures, a food is an aphrodisiac even if it resembles the genitals or creates a certain sensation on the tongue.

According to the Encyclopedia, many aphrodisiacs are considered “psychoactive,” meaning they have an effect on consciousness. This makes the brain one of the most powerful sexual organs.
In other words, we’re seeing a placebo effect.

However, there are some chemical properties in aphrodisiacs that naturally serve to stimulate interest in, and stamina during, sex.

In popular belief, any foods that stimulate blood flow and heart rate and bring color to your cheeks, can serve as aphrodisiacs, including anything from chili peppers to caffeine.

Presently, the most widely known aphrodisiacs are chocolate, oysters and ginseng, found in energy drinks, according to an article by Rany Shamloul, MD who specializes in Andrology and Sexology.

Chocolate has a wide range of chemical compounds and is often considered the food with the strongest impact on health, according to Shamloul. Studies have found a positive trend in women’s sexual function for those who consume chocolate daily.

To the lament of seafood haters, a study presented to the American Chemical Society in 2005 found that oysters are proven to be one of the strongest culinary aphrodisiacs, a belief that had previously been considered an old wives’ tale.

George Fisher, a professor of chemistry at Barry University in Miami, along with two Italian graduate students from the Laboratory of Neurobiology in Naples analyzed bivalve mollusks, and found two amino acids that are found in higher levels during the springtime when the shellfish are breeding. When tested in rats, these amino acids were found to trigger the release of testosterone in males and progesterone in females. Scientists believe that this reaction is parallel with the human reaction.

If that’s not enough, oysters, as well as shrimp, almonds and eggs, have high zinc content, which is found to be responsible for an improved libido, according to Amy Reiley, an expert in Aphrodisiac foods.

According to Reiley, there are really no aphrodisiacs that will act like Viagra, but foods can promote sexual health, and as emphasized in the encyclopedia, can mentally arouse a person.
Culturally specific aphrodisiacs still used today include kebob, or middle eastern barbecued beef, dried tiger’s penis soup, snake blood or melted fat of the camel hump, according to Shamloul.

Whatever you choose to stimulate your senses with on that special night, just make sure you’re not greasy or gassy, and remember to brush your teeth.