FESTIVAL FEST 2016

Californians: It’s March. Music festival season is upon us. So start cutting down your shorts and growing daisies to shove behind your ears. And for the love of all good things check the line-ups, listen to something else other than Top 40 and learn something. Damn it.

CRSSD- Madison

Waterfront Park, San Diego

March 5-6

CRSSD’s website declares that the festival will rise “rain or shine.” At this 21+, non-smoking DJ-set emporium hubbaloo, folks can see the ocean from the main stage. Embrace the wonderful world of dance and DJ tunes at this San Diego-esque tribute to Party Town. Oh yeah, and Chet Faker will be there.

MUSINK- Micayla

Costa Mesa

March 4-6

There are few things in this world better than good music, good tattoos and good company. At Travis Barker’s 9th annual Musink festival, the three will come together in form of an all-ages, three-day long celebration of Orange County’s alternative art scene with bands and pop-up tattoo booths overtaking the OC Fairgrounds.

Serenity Gathering – Miranda

Joshua Tree

March 17-20

Celebrate the Spring Equinox in the chillest way possible. The festival organizers embrace an idea of finding balance in oneself — whether it be through their body, mind or festival lineup. Emancipator, Shpongle and Del the Funky Homosapien are among a few of the headliners.

So drive over to Joshua Tree — and bring a jacket. Deserts are cold.

COACHELLA- Madison

Indio

April 15-24

Guess who’s back. Back again. HEALTH. Beach House. Grimes. Run the Jewels. Wolf Alice. It may be too quick to say that this is the festival of my dreams. But, yea, it is.

Freestyle Festival-Miranda

Queen Mary Park, Long Beach

April 23-24

Taking place at Long Beach’s very own Queen Mary, the Freestyle Festival aims to enliven the end of your spring semester with iconic performers in the R&Business. Salt-n-Peppa, Berlin and Stevie B — party with the Queen and some lyrical beats.

STAGECOACH- Madison

Indio

April 29-May 1

I don’t like country music. I make fun of it heavily and I don’t understand the hype. But still, people love it, and most of those people end up frolicking about at Stagecoach every year. Nestled in the same canyon as Coachella, Stagecoach gives country music fans the only legitimate excuse to think trackers are sexy, hoist red solo cups with pride and proclaim with drunken confidence that they’re more than “pretty good at drinkin beer.”

Bottlerock- Micayla

Napa Valley

May 27-29

Can I go to Bottlerock?! Can I pretty pretty please with a thousand cherries on top go to Bottlerock? Between the beautiful, NorCal setting of Napa Valley, a lineup set to rival 99 percent of other 2016 lineups and a decently affordable pass price, Bottlerock has the potential to, for lack of any better term, rock my socks. Stevie Wonder, Florence + the Machine and the Red Hot Chili Peppers each headlining a day with The Struts and X Ambassadors bringing up the rear? Sign me right up.

Blaze ‘N’ Glory-Miranda

San Bernardino

June 4

Insert pot joke here? Just kidding. Sort of.

A lovely intersection between tree-lovers and festival-goers. With the promise of a good lineup (The Growlers are playing, come on) and a solid (if not totally mellow) crowd, get lit at Blaze ‘N’ Glory.

Outside Lands- Micayla

San Francisco

August 5-7

In my mind, Outside Lands is to San Francisco what FYF is to Los Angeles. Even though the 2016 lineup hasn’t been announced, I feel more than confident in what Ranger Dave has in store for you and will tell you now it’s worth the trip up the coast.

FYF- Madison

Los Angeles

August 27-28

Lineup to be determined.

Oh, FYF. You classic cesspool of fond times, music discoveries and delicious lineup histories, you. I spent my first music festival experience at FYF with very good friends and memories that make my cheeks hurt with joy. I ran back and forth between stages, my eyes tearful and unblinking with hope of a newfound favourite. We jumped, arms entwined, to Bloc Party, Kanye West and Jesus and Mary Chain. I know it wasn’t and isn’t Isle of Wight, or Roskilde or T in the Park, but FYF was my first. And ladies and gents, we always go back to our first.