Places to see for free

It’s very possible to get caught up in studies and simple pleasures during limited hours of free time and neglect the many places to visit and sights to see in Long Beach.

On top of dealing with busy schedules, many students are also dealing with short budgets.

Sometimes dorm residents can go a whole semester without ever leaving the campus. However, knowing how to see the city without breaking the bank could help students get out for some fresh air on the weekend, or finally take that special someone out on a romantic date.

Aquarium of the Pacific: Shark Lagoon

Free

Friday 6-9 p.m.

100 Aquarium Way

Long Beach’s aquarium is one of the city’s main tourist attractions. But students who are here to further their education instead of trying to visit the many hotspots of the city may never bother to pay the $30 admission. However, perhaps one of the most exciting exhibits can be seen for free. Entrance to the Shark Lagoon is free on Fridays from 6 to 9 p.m. Guests can see large sand tiger sharks and rays and even touch bamboo sharks.

MOLAA

Free

Sunday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

628 Alamitos Avenue

The Museum of Latin American Art is one of Long Beach’s larger art museums. The museum is dedicated to expanding knowledge and appreciation of modern and contemporary Latin American art. The museum currently has an exhibit open about empowerment and inspiration in contemporary comics called “Artists Assemble,” and both the exhibit and the rest of this museum is free to the public every Sunday.

Japanese Garden

Free

Tuesday-Friday 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Saturday-Sunday 12 p.m.-4 p.m.

1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach

A romantic spot for a date, or just a relaxing place to unwind is the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden, and it’s located on this very campus. There is no admission charge to visit this lush escape from the busy city. Visitors can feed koi fish, be soothed by the sounds of running water and take in floral aromas.

Second Saturday Art Walk

Free

Second Saturday of every month at 4-10 p.m.

Linden Avenue, 1st Street, Broadway, 4th Street, and Elm

The East Village Art District comes to life every second Saturday of the month in a showcase of many of Long Beach’s talented local artists. There are two stages for live music and numerous vendors of knick-knacks, souvenirs and some affordable artworks in a variety of forms. Art-walkers observe many projects, discuss the works with the artist and can even make some art of their own with street chalk.

Museum of Art

Free

Friday 11a.m.-3 p.m.

2300 East Ocean Blvd.

The Long Beach Museum of Art was founded in 1950, and is located in the historic 1911 Elizabeth Milbank Anderson House. It’s a quaint little brick building with a beautiful ocean view and has been building upon its permanent collection for the past 60 years. Admission is typically $7 for adults or $6 for students, but the museum opens their doors to the public for free every Friday

Rancho Los Alamitos Ranch and Garden

Free

Wednesday-Sunday 1-5 p.m.

6400 E Bixby Hill Road

This serene spot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for the evolution of its significant historic landscape over time. This preserved old ranch explores the early history of the city. Hear about the Bixby family who owned it and learn about one of the last working ranches in the area. Visitors can forget they’re even in the city among the lush gardens, massive trees, shire horses and beautiful architecture.

First Fridays

Free

First Friday of every month 6:30-9:30 p.m.

Atlantic Avenue from Bixby Road to San Antonio Drive

For those that find it easier to take a trip to Bixby Knolls instead of downtown – or are busy during Second Saturdays – First Fridays can be the chance to shop and dine while taking in the local art. Much Like Second Saturdays, First Fridays is a showcase to to promote and support artists and musicians in the area.