Guardian Scholar Program Aims to Help Foster Students

The Guardian Scholars Program strives to give the skills and tools needed for successful careers to current and former foster youth looking to expand their education.

Accepted applicants will receive a support group connecting with different departments on campus that offer counseling and tutoring as well as resources that include a laptop loan and educational and community enrichment activities.

“We give graduate school help for the foster youth here on campus because about one to three percent go on to graduate with a bachelor’s degree,” said Lauren-Michelle Hardge, the program’s resource program specialist. “Around 7 to 10 percent don’t make it into college so we want to make sure that the foster youth that we have here on campus feel supported in any way possible.”

Some of the resources the Guardian Scholars Program offers include academic advising and life coaching workshops to increase the student’s success both during and after their education. It also offers book grants, scholarships and facilitation of on-campus housing to help with the high costs of post-secondary schooling.

Along with helping them thrive in school, the program also strives to provide students a family-like environment by giving them community outings.

“We want them to build community amongst each other, seeing that they come from similar backgrounds,” Hardge said.

There are requirements that need to be met in order to qualify for the Guardian Scholars Program.

Applicants must have been admitted to Cal State Long Beach as a freshman or transfer student and be a current or former foster youth between the ages 17-25. Students must also apply for FAFSA in order to be submitted into the program.

To remain eligible for the Guardian Scholars Program student must enroll in at least six units. They are also required to attend workshops, financial and academic advising appointments and participate in an online financial literacy program.

The application for the program can be found on the university’s website.

The Guardian Scholars Program is a vital resource because only 10 percent of former foster youth will ever attend college, and of that, only three percent will graduate. With the help of this program CSULB is doing it’s part to improve these statistics.