Deaka McClain: An agent for change and ADA advocacy

Ever since she was young, Deaka McClain’s physical and learning disability made school a challenge.

“’You’re not college material,’” McClain said, recounting her meetings with an individual disability advisor during her senior year of high school.

McClain was born with cerebral palsy and dyslexia, and faced many challenges in and outside of school.

“It just paved the way for me to be where I’m at today,” McClain said.

McClain continued her higher education at Los Angeles Harbor College in Wilmington transferring from El Camino College. At Harbor College, her goals grew larger as she immersed herself more into the environment.

Liberal arts was McClain’s focus at Harbor College, but soon afterwards she found her calling with advocacy through student government.

One of McClain’s first challenges was navigating to her classes without elevator access. She visited the disabled student programs and services office at Harbor College with queries about accessibility on campus. McClain was directed to become an agent for change by getting involved with student government to help make campus more accessible to students with disabilities.

Deaka McClain recently became a recipient of the BMAC Hall of Fame award in October. McClain has used her platform to advocate for more ADA accessibility across in schools and across Long Beach.
Deaka McClain recently became a recipient of the BMAC Hall of Fame award in October. McClain has used her platform to advocate for more ADA accessibility across in schools and across Long Beach. Photo credit: Photo courtesy of Deaka McClain

“I want you to take that energy, and I want you to go join student government,” McClain said, recalling a meeting that she had with DSPS representatives.

It was also at Harbor College where McClain was diagnosed with dyslexia. After receiving the results confirming her learning disability, McClain decided to apply as a journalism major at Long Beach State.

It took McClain four attempts before she was accepted at CSU Long Beach, with each attempt making her more determined than the last.

McClain was finally accepted into the program in 2004, but not without further complications.

Due to McClain’s health at the time, she had to have major orthopedic knee surgery and attend physical rehabilitation due to her cerebral palsy.

By the time McClain started her first semester at CSU Long Beach, she was still recovering at a convalescent hospital.

McClain managed to make the most of her time at CSU Long Beach by becoming involved with extracurricular organizations such as the Daily Forty-Niner and ASI.

this is an image

After graduating with her bachelor’s degree in journalism, McClain applied for the public policy and administration master’s program.

Following another surgery and being placed on the waiting list, McClain was accepted into the program in August 2011. The program challenged McClain’s time management and proactive advocacy. She ultimately made the decision to not take part in extracurricular activities and focus more on school work.

McClain has since completed her master’s program and is now the co-founder of the non-profit organization Divine Victory Ministries.

“Don’t let anybody allow your circumstances [to] define who you are, only you can define who you are,” McClain said.

“At the end of the day you make it happen.”

Students, or prospective students struggling with learning disabilities in their higher education at CSU Long Beach, can reach out to the Stephen Benson Learning Disability Program or Bob Murphy Access Center on campus.

Deaka McClain hopes to continue her push for representation of the general public, and students with disabilities through her position as a commissioner for the Fourth Supervisorial District.

McClain’s political aspirations are geared towards state and federal government positions, and she hopes to become a Senator.

This article was changed for clarity and accuracy as of Dec. 1, 2023