Arts & Life, Special Projects, Student Choice Awards Winner

The Exhibition Room offers an escape to a classy age

Off of Wardlow Road in California Heights, one finds Roxanne’s Lounge, a Latin bar and grill that has been a neighborhood staple since 2011.

A suspicious-looking payphone sits at the back of the restaurant and with the correct passcode, the passage to the hidden speakeasy, The Exhibition Room is revealed.

To gain access to The Exhibition Room, a password must be provided to a payphone at the back of Roxanne's.
To gain access to The Exhibition Room, a password must be provided to a payphone at the back of Roxanne's. The password is provided via text prior to reservation time. Photo credit: Jahir Olvera

The Exhibition Room transports its guests back to the 1920s through its cocktails and live music.

Aiming to recreate the feeling of secrecy throughout the Prohibition era, The Exhibition Room encourages a dress code and provides a password for guests upon their reservations.

“It is kind of ironic, I like this place because it’s a secret, but I also want everybody to know about it,” bar lead Devon Butler said.

“It just has appeal, it has that certain je ne sais quoi [meaning can’t be adequately described]. You don’t see a lot of places like this in Long Beach or on the West Coast in general.”

Working at The Exhibition Room for over two and a half years, Butler shared that his favorite part about the bar is that he can engage with the local community.

Hidden behind Roxanne's, The Exhibition Room transports its guests to the past in this Prohibition-inspired speakeasy.
Hidden behind Roxanne's, The Exhibition Room transports its guests to the past in this Prohibition-inspired speakeasy. A password is required and a business casual dress code is encouraged. Photo credit: Jahir Olvera

“It’s one of those places where you can get intimate and get to know people,” Butler said.

“Most of the people here are from the neighborhood, within walking distance, who never knew that this place existed,” he said. “I see them come in often and chat with us. That ability to connect is very important to me.”

Upon entering, guests are greeted by live music played by local musicians such as Alexander Blanco, the Ambrosius Jazz Darlings and more.

Guests will also find a selection of classic cocktails with prices varying from $16 to $18 that includes notable drinks like an Old Fashioned, Bourbon Bramble and El Pepino. Customers can request a bartender’s choice to receive a customized cocktail.

In the Exhibition Room, various signature drinks are available such as the El Pepino, an Old Fashioned and a Corpse Reviver #2.
In the Exhibition Room, various signature drinks are available such as the El Pepino, an Old Fashioned and a Corpse Reviver #2. The current is planned to be expanded, adding more drinks and snacks. Photo credit: Jahir Olvera

“I love the ambiance and I also like the entertainment,” returning customer Louann Wu said, “My favorite thing has to be the drinks. The drinks are amazing.”

The Exhibition Room sees visits from all sorts of crowds coming in for group outings, birthdays and first dates. Depending on the night, it can get busy due to the limited space and 90 minute time limit per reservation.

“I think it’s an interesting experience,” first-time customer Marcus Forman said. “It’s well-curated, the artifacts are nice and it gives you a totally different vibe than what you get when you walk in through the front door.”

The Exhibition Room is located within Roxanne’s Lounge, at 1117 E Wardlow Road. Reservations can be made on their website.