Daily Forty-Niner Alumni take over the Long Beach Post

Daily Forty-Niner Content Adviser Barbara Kingsley-Wilson and two Forty-Niner alumni recently “took over” the Long Beach Post newsroom while Post staffers attended the Online News Association Conference in New Orleans, Sept. 11-14. 

Kingsley-Wilson, along with former Forty-Niner Editor-in-chief Kat Schuster (2018-2019) and former Forty-Niner Copy Editor and Beach Weekly co-host James Chow (2018-2019) reported on breaking news, covered Long Beach events and wrote feature stories. The experience had all three both “energized and exhausted,” Kingsley-Wilson said. 

“It was such a terrifying and eye-opening experience for me. Being in a new environment where no one is hand-holding you anymore felt like a fresh start,” Chow said. “I’m used to focusing on the student and faculty demographic of the Daily Forty-Niner. But with the Long Beach Post, you’re reaching a whole city. I was definitely afraid to mess up or feel like I’m not pulling my weight.” 

Chow’s coverage of Cambodian Rapper praCh Ly’s performance at the Art Theatre received praise from Long Beach Post staff.

“The folks at the Post were so encouraging and welcoming of me that I gained a spurt of confidence during my time.” Chow said. “At the end of the day, I live to tell stories and that’s what’s been consistent ever since I started my journalism career.”

Long Beach Post City Hall Report Jason Ruiz compliments James Chow’s feature story on Cambodian Rapper praCh Ly.

Kingsley-Wilson led the alumni team as they worked the news desk, along with photographer Stephen Carr and city hall reporter Jason Ruiz. 

“It was a great experience working with these young journalists who were so open to covering all aspects of Long Beach news,” Kingsley-Wilson said. “We’re grateful that the Long Beach Post entrusted us with their newsroom. There’s nothing as invigorating as breaking news!”

Follow Kat Schuster, James Chow and all of the other Daily Forty-Niner alumni as they continue to contribute to the Long Beach Post.

This post previously contained a misspelled name and was corrected on Oct. 10 at 5:56 p.m.