Blog

Students prepare as winter ends, spring semester begins

Alarm clocks ringing, freeway traffic, left or is it right? The joys of the first day back to school (or the first day of school) begins. As spring sets in, Cal State Long Beach welcomes thousands as they begin their transition as transfer students. Although the demands of a transfer student are difficult with learning about a new school, friends and adjusting to a new environment the rest must adjust all over again as well.

Due to the unfortunate budget cuts, many students eagerly took advantage of classes during the winter session. While unlike many students who’ve had almost a full month break, some students are only limited to a week or two. The transition from one semester to another can be intense, causing many overwhelming feelings.

For many students jumping right back in and tackling another semester, I salute you! It seems as though the older we become, “breaks” no longer live up to its name. They’re rather much needed, doctor’s order and phone off time. Although the time period between semesters can sometimes feel short and dreadful, I believe it conveniently allows us to stay in what many would consider, “school mode.”

There are many methods one can consider whether it’s starting school fresh or coming back after a short break. First, always find time to eat healthy meals to keep the fuel burning. It’s difficult to find time to eat for many students, who like me, have back-to-back classes. I suggest carrying bite-size meals in your backpacks like Wheat Thins, Cheerios or trail mix.

With the help of a healthy snack or meal, our brains can continue observing, analyzing and understanding the fundamentals of all subjects we encounter. Another suggestion is taking a few minutes out of your day to just do nothing. There are many beautiful locations on campus from the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden pond to the University Library overlooking Catalina Island.

In the midst of chaos, it’s easy to forget to relax your mind from stress and to just enjoy life. It’s important to stay focused and disciplined by energizing your strength through soothing methods. Even if it’s for a few minutes a day, such techniques will work wonders to fuel your studious brain.

Lastly, be kind and courteous to those who may need the extra help. If you see someone looking for a classroom, or even someone dining alone, take advantage of meeting your peers. CSULB has some of the greatest, unique and diverse students. Through a smile or a quick encounter, you can find yourself a lifelong friend.