Blog

Emotional Baggage Check: A place to pick up feel-good vibes

“I’m sick of society. I feel like I have to look like a model to make it anywhere. And I don’t even look close. I’m fat, zitty, ugly.”

Wait, there’s more.

“Work moved me to a tiny town where my best chance of a social network came through a friend of a friend of a friend. Because I am a walking cliché, I promptly fell for her. Even though she and I are both single and queer, I can’t risk going for it because if it doesn’t work, I will literally have no friends.”

Maybe you’ve been there before. Maybe you still are at that point, and you don’t know who to turn to. Maybe you wish to never have to deal with these problems in your own life and want to help others get them out of their lives.

Welcome to Emotional Bag Check, a place where anyone can anonymously “check-in” their “emotional baggage” in hopes that someone will “pick it up” by sending a feel-good song and a personal message of inspiration.

It’s almost a music therapy website, but this is with the public and popular songs of their choice–regardless of personal taste. So, of course, the system’s not perfect, but maybe you can discover a new singer or reconnect with an old band.

There are also some glitches when picking up luggage. Not every song is available. Online music streaming service and Emotional Baggage Check host Grooveshark has improved its search engine.

Extreme situations that require immediate help should definitely not solely rely on this site, as responses may not come until hours later. Surprisingly, I got a suggestion to listen to “Aviary” by Mint Julep within minutes.

I never even heard of Mint Julep until now. Of course, I’m taking this all in a very light-hearted way, but we all have problems and want a confidence boost. Try telling your story, feel better and discover some awesome music while you’re at it. Help spread the word of your favorite tunes. It’s totally a win-win situation.