Blog

‘Cycles’ premiers at The Hollywood Fringe

“Cycles,” written by Robert Litz and directed by Stefan Lysenko, is an hourlong, dark comedy play that twists the survival of the fittest with vengeance and hope through a throbbing real estate offer.

With prideful, Italian real estate agent Andrew “Buzz” Burzini (Dominic Rains) and an elderly, wise Jewish-yet-agnostic Jake Weisz (Alan Rosenberg) locked in a Boston gym during the after hours, it’s more than fate that brings them face-to-face. The two argue, and ulterior motives unravel at grippingly ferocious speeds, like their initial cycling contest.

Despite Buzz and Jake’s stereotypical personas, the contrasting characters are connected through the real estate business.

Buzz may out-cycled Jake in the fitness competition, but in the end, old man Jake triumphs through patience and experience, as reflected in his respected name in the business.

Overall, “Cycles” solidly takes us on a curved journey, showing that less is more through only two explosive actors in a single act and setting.

‘Cycles’ premiered at the 2012 Hollywood Fringe Festival June 14-24 at the Theater Asylum. Showings of the play have been extended for four more dates from July 7-28.

For the show dates of “Cycles,” visit: http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/817.