Blog

Make up your mind on beauty trends for fall

I know we all have busy schedules, so applying makeup may be one of the last things on your mind as you rush to get ready for class in the morning. As a makeup artist, I’d like to share a few makeup trends that will keep you looking fabulous throughout this fall semester.

Smokey brown eyes
Brown is definitely the new black this fall. A smokey brown eye is the perfect look for day or night. It’s also flattering for all skin tones and eye colors. You can especially create a quick and simple look using one or two colors or a super elaborate eye look for when you want to feel super fabulous.

Recommendations: Naked Palette 1, 2 Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation
NYX Nude on Nude Palette

Red lips
Red lips are back! Ranging form matte to glossy, bright to deep, all shades of red have been seen on the runway. Many women have said that they don’t think they can pull off red lipstick, but the truth is that everyone can! It’s all about finding the right shade for your skin tone. Cooler skin tones should look for a blue-based red color while warmer tones should go for a more neutral or orange-based red tone.

Since we’re on campus for a good portion of the day, retouching up can be annoying, so use a pigmented lip gloss-lipstick hybrid like the Revlon Lip Butters. The wear on this product lasts for a few hours, but it’s so easy to apply and touch up with between classes. For those who want to splurge, consider Make Up Forever’s new lip stain-lip gloss combo Aqua Rouge. All you have to touch up is the gloss when it starts to wear off.

Recommendations: MAC Viva Glam 1 Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation
MUFE Aqua Rogue #9
Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple

Fresh face
Don’t put away your summer foundations just yet! The super natural, but of course I still have makeup on look is pushing past summer and into the fall, so hold off on splurging on that new foundation for just a little bit longer. If you do have a heavier wearing foundation, mix it with your moisturizer to get a lighter, dewy application that will keep you looking amazing throughout this semester.

Recommendations:
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation
Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation
MAC Mineralized Skin Finish

Defined eyebrows
I am a firm believer that most people, if not all, need to fill in their eyebrows. Eyebrows frame your face and can really change how you look. Fuller eyebrows make a face look younger, while more defined eyebrows can give you an image of maturity. I’ll be honest, my eyebrows take up a good portion of the time it takes me to get ready in the morning. First I outline. Then fill and then conceal and…well, you get the picture, right? I wouldn’t do it if it weren’t necessary, though. Here’s a quick tip to determine the right color to fill your eyebrows in: If you have light hair, go three shades darker than your hair color for your eyebrows. If you have dark hair, go three shades lighter. See, not too difficult right? Another quick tip: less is more. It’s always easier to add more product than it is to take away. Defined eyebrows are in, but we’re not going for eyebrows that look like they’re tattooed.

Recommendations:
MAC Brow Pencils
L’Oreal Brow Fantasy
E.L.F Studio Brow Kit
Anastasia Brow Powder Duo

Colorblocking
Colorblocking has been an ongoing trend in clothing for the last few seasons, and now it’s made its way into makeup. Colorblocking nails and makeup are showing up everywhere, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to disappear any time soon. This is a really fun way to play with colors you’ve never thought you’d be able to put together. The trick is to focus on just one part of your face instead of all. For example, if you want to focus on the eyes, make sure your lips and cheeks are a little more subdued.

Recommendations:
BH Cosmetics 88 Palettes
Urban Decay Eye Shadows
NYX Eye Shadows

And there you have it, my favorite makeup trends of the season. Don’t be afraid to try something new this fall.