Blog

The realistic ways of of combating freshman 15

Coming to college, especially if you are from out of state, can have startling and even stressful effects on students.

What are some of those side effects of being away from mommy and daddy? Well, freedom is a positive side effect for sure. However, students tend to stay up later, complete less homework, party more and eat more leading to weight gain. See a pattern forming? It’s called the freshman 15.

The freshman 15 is defined as the average amount of weight gained by students during their first year of college. As young individuals, we struggle to fit in whether we are reluctant to admit to it or not.

Everyone has a distorted view of himself or herself. It is almost impossible to see yourself as is. If you claim you don’t have insecurities, you are confirming what we already knew to begin with through your denial.

I’m here to help you avoid being another number without losing your birthright to enjoy college. To aid you in this act of pure altruism, I will provide a list of behaviors to look out for, as well as beneficial activities like choosing healthier food choices and contacting numbers you can call for help.

Diet

If you decide to go to Pine Street or Second Street to get schmammered, plan ahead. Have sliced lean turkey meat and Gatorade ready for you to gorge on next to your bed. What? You’re in the mood for Taco Bell? Handle that curve ball by ordering anything off the Fresco menu because each item is less than 300 calories (hold the cheese, please). Robeks is conveniently on campus and an excellent alternative full of fresh fruits and veggies. You can even get a protein shake that tastes like bananas.

Exercise

Go to hot yoga and burn more calories in one session than running a mile at a full-blown sprint. Hot yoga expels toxins from your body, and it’s super relaxing anyway. Any exercise is better than no exercise.

Self-discipline

I know this sounds ridiculous, but limit your alcohol intake. Too many swigs can mess with your head and cause all kinds of complications like depression, exhaustion and waking up in a pool of Jell-O (definitely on the okay to eat list).

Recreational drugs

Fact: Smoking weed causes the munchies.

Professional help

Cal State Long Beach has nutrition counselors that are willing to help you create a food plan, tailored to you and only you. Take advantage of this service, since you pay for it anyway! Call the Student Wellness and Recreation Center at (562) 985-0763 or email [email protected].

Just relax, keep up on your homework and make some healthy friends. There is a time and place for everything. Just know your limits.